January 2020 warmest on record, beats 2016 Watch

Ferrograd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
..by 0.03. obviously a small amount, but still a record. unsurprising, if you didn't notice that january was much warmer than it should be then you don't feel the warm or understand how cold winters used to be. seems to me as if 2020 will be warmest year on record, given that when january was this warm was 2016 which was the warmest year? Feel free to debate me on that one though.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
January 2020 was the hottest because the EU is trying to melt us after we successfully Got Brexit Done. :yes:

And genuinely, yes it has been a mild one, very little snow and I'm not extremely sad about that to be honest. It does worry me for how hot this summer's going to be though.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
January 2020 was the hottest because the EU is trying to melt us after we successfully Got Brexit Done. :yes:

And genuinely, yes it has been a mild one, very little snow and I'm not extremely sad about that to be honest. It does worry me for how hot this summer's going to be though.
Hmmm, maybe, but there's no correlation between mild winters and hot summers. 2016 was the warmest on record yet summer here was...average. Hottest day was actually in September.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)

I won't lie I have been worired about climate change, but to a certain extent I believe there's very little I can personally do, apart from what I already do in campaigning for a labour government. And even then, that won't have much of a change given that this country already does more than others in that department.
watershower
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i knew january was not as cold as it should have been! but everyone knows that the real winter picks up in february time...it’s actually started to get really bitter outside. i’m quite scared for march!
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good. I ****ing hate cold weather.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
I won't lie I have been worired about climate change, but to a certain extent I believe there's very little I can personally do, apart from what I already do in campaigning for a labour government. And even then, that won't have much of a change given that this country already does more than others in that department.
We need to do Brexit again and stop the EU from trying to melt us!
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by watershower)
i knew january was not as cold as it should have been! but everyone knows that the real winter picks up in february time...it’s actually started to get really bitter outside. i’m quite scared for march!
April march could be colder than normal because of weakened polar vortex. Unless of course we have what we did last year where we got 20c in Feb. That was freakishly warm
watershower
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
April march could be colder than normal because of weakened polar vortex. Unless of course we have what we did last year where we got 20c in Feb. That was freakishly warm
i wouldn’t mind because i hate cold weather lol
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by watershower)
i wouldn’t mind because i hate cold weather lol
But weather you like it or not, it's nto right is it?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Persistent positive-neutral/weak Nino values are largely to blame (lots of heat in the Pacific being released into the atmosphere), we've had the same conditions since mid-2018 (indeed 2016 came off the back of a super Nino).

I would suspect we probably won't beat 2016 globally purely because we have seen a weaker event even if as persistent which should mean that when La Nina develops (several models are now suggesting this could be the case) the globe should cool more quickly (especially since the PDO appears to have finally gone negative - whether it will be sustained or not we shall see).
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Persistent positive-neutral/weak Nino values are largely to blame (lots of heat in the Pacific being released into the atmosphere), we've had the same conditions since mid-2018 (indeed 2016 came off the back of a super Nino).

I would suspect we probably won't beat 2016 globally purely because we have seen a weaker event even if as persistent which should mean that when La Nina develops (several models are now suggesting this could be the case) the globe should cool more quickly (especially since the PDO appears to have finally gone negative - whether it will be sustained or not we shall see).
When is La Nina going to develop then based on models?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When is La Nina going to develop then based on models?
Those that show it suggest the summer (statistically i would add that summers in flip to nina years are rubbish in the UK).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads