The Student Room Group

How does Jane Austen use language? A-Level

So I'm doing Sense and Sensibility and my teacher tells us to write about her 'craft' to get really good grades, and I am trying to find as much on it as possible but I'm not getting good stuff. The only two things I found was hypotaxis and circumlocution and I would like more of these kind of literary devices to talk about since they seem really good and why she uses it. Anyone has any notes or any websites I can go to or smth? Would be a great help xx.
Irony and setting up an idea to undercut it are hallmarks of her style I would say. But the question seems so general, is there a particular chapter, theme or character your teacher wants you to write about?
Reply 2
Original post by karelina
Irony and setting up an idea to undercut it are hallmarks of her style I would say. But the question seems so general, is there a particular chapter, theme or character your teacher wants you to write about?

Thank you, and no not really, he just says to talk about craft as much as you can and not the actual characters. It's so hard to base your whole essay off of language only so I really need some good, good literary devices and what impact it has on us readers.
Reply 3
Characterisation is part of literary craft, too - but studying it involves analysing how the characters are constructed, rather than just describing their attributes. It is a big aspect of Sense and Sensibility, since the plot largely depends on the differences in Elinor and Marianne's behaviour - you could compare how each of them uses language, for example, or the kind of language Austen uses to describe them or weave their thoughts into the narrative.

But certainly the most important literary technique to look at when it comes to Jane Austen is irony. Take this example: "Marianne would have thought herself very inexcusable had she been able to sleep at all the first night after parting from Willoughby". How does the irony work here - what makes it amusing?
Reply 4
Original post by Gwil
Characterisation is part of literary craft, too - but studying it involves analysing how the characters are constructed, rather than just describing their attributes. It is a big aspect of Sense and Sensibility, since the plot largely depends on the differences in Elinor and Marianne's behaviour - you could compare how each of them uses language, for example, or the kind of language Austen uses to describe them or weave their thoughts into the narrative.

But certainly the most important literary technique to look at when it comes to Jane Austen is irony. Take this example: "Marianne would have thought herself very inexcusable had she been able to sleep at all the first night after parting from Willoughby". How does the irony work here - what makes it amusing?

Thanks a lot!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending