Legal Advice please, caught driving whilst banned Watch

ILikePiracy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
This is not for me but a friend of mine as I do not drive. The situation is this. My friend was caught drug driving in July 2018 and was summoned to court in December 2018. They banned him for 12 months plus another 2 for having two passengers in the car. His ban should have ended 3 days ago on the 05/02/2020. He never stopped driving throughout his ban but only used the car to drive to work and and back. Last Thursday he was stopped by Police and had his car seized, they called him to court for the 12/02. Now Im unsure of what will exactly happen to him then. Is this court appearance for him to either plead guilty or not guilty? Also will he be taken away immediately or will he have some time to sort out personal affairs if he was to go inside. I've done a bit of googling and found he will likely receive some form of custodial sentence. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ILikePiracy)
They banned him for 12 months plus another 2 for having two passengers in the car. His ban should have ended 3 days ago on the 05/02/2020. He never stopped driving throughout his ban but only used the car to drive to work and and back.
He "only" drove, what, 600 times whilst banned? Hopefully someone will testify to that.

Last Thursday he was stopped by Police and had his car seized, they called him to court for the 12/02. Now Im unsure of what will exactly happen to him then. Is this court appearance for him to either plead guilty or not guilty? Also will he be taken away immediately or will he have some time to sort out personal affairs if he was to go inside. I've done a bit of googling and found he will likely receive some form of custodial sentence. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I'm no expert, but, AFAIK, it will depend on whether bail is granted or not. I hope not - they appear to have zero respect for the law.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is not for me but a friend of mine as I do not drive. The situation is this. My friend was caught drug driving in July 2018 and was summoned to court in December 2018. They banned him for 12 months plus another 2 for having two passengers in the car. His ban should have ended 3 days ago on the 05/02/2020. He never stopped driving throughout his ban but only used the car to drive to work and and back. Last Thursday he was stopped by Police and had his car seized, they called him to court for the 12/02. Now Im unsure of what will exactly happen to him then. Is this court appearance for him to either plead guilty or not guilty? Also will he be taken away immediately or will he have some time to sort out personal affairs if he was to go inside. I've done a bit of googling and found he will likely receive some form of custodial sentence. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
As above, I think it depends if bail is given (It might not, if they're accused of violating existing restrictions). But generally pleading and sentencing don't happen on the same date, if sentenced to custody they're taken there and then

I imagine a lot of it will depend how much effort the police and PF goes to, likely lots of incriminating evidence on CCTV over the last 2 years.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I hope he's locked up and the key thrown away. Absolutely disgusting that you haven't disowned them for what they've done to be perfectly honest.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good! He’s a ****ing idiot! I hope he never drives again, absolute ******* should not be on the roads. He got banned for being an idiot then went and drove again during his ban.. **** him, I say lock the **** up.
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So he was also driving uninsured this whole time. Sounds like a great bloke.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
So he was also driving uninsured this whole time. Sounds like a great bloke.
The thing that annoys me is he firstly drove under the influence which is so selfish as he could have killed someone. Secondly he got banned and instead of taking it on the chin and using his ban to reflect on his stupidity he ignores it and continues to drive.. cant feel sorry for people like that.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
https://www.drivingban.co.uk/driving...squalified.htm

The very worst punishment is 6 months in prison. So, out in 3, assuming good behaviour. That's not too bad. His punishment will depend upon his circumstances. Having a job will help. He's not a total deadbeat.

3 months in a YOI or adult prison is not the end of the world. It's very unlikely that he will get raped or beaten up. UK prisons in 2020 are not like their fictional depictions (apart from Porridge).

He's not a nasty criminal. He's just been very stupid, selfish and irresponsible. It's up to him if he learns and wises up from all this.
Probably the biggest punishment for him will be the huge insurance costs when he does start driving again - should he ever want to drive legally.

Driving illegally is stupid because our roads are so well monitored that he will get caught sooner or later.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
https://www.drivingban.co.uk/driving...squalified.htm

The very worst punishment is 6 months in prison. So, out in 3, assuming good behaviour. That's not too bad. His punishment will depend upon his circumstances. Having a job will help. He's not a total deadbeat.

3 months in a YOI or adult prison is not the end of the world. It's very unlikely that he will get raped or beaten up. UK prisons in 2020 are not like their fictional depictions (apart from Porridge).

He's not a nasty criminal. He's just been very stupid, selfish and irresponsible. It's up to him if he learns and wises up from all this.
Probably the biggest punishment for him will be the huge insurance costs when he does start driving again - should he ever want to drive legally.

Driving illegally is stupid because our roads are so well monitored that he will get caught sooner or later.
I am praying for prison, I’ve spent time in a YOI, they would have a felid day with him in there on driving charges, probs get moved to the wing where the nonces live anyway.
ILikePiracy
Rep:
?
hmm, the court hearing is on Wednesday morning so Ill keep this updated
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I expect Wednesday may be only the first court appearance. He deserves prison if that is what the sentence is. More people are killed or otherwise die on the roads than have ever died from terrorism.
ILikePiracy
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
I expect Wednesday may be only the first court appearance. He deserves prison if that is what the sentence is. More people are killed or otherwise die on the roads than have ever died from terrorism.
well quick update, he receive £400 fine, 200 for driving without a license and 200 for no insurance. The judge was quite surprised the police did not just let him go as there was less than a week left and he was on his way to work. Apparently the closer you get caught when you were banned the harsher the penalty. He received his new license at the beginning of the week and is no longer banned. He is able to drive now once he gets insurance.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
well quick update, he receive £400 fine, 200 for driving without a license and 200 for no insurance. The judge was quite surprised the police did not just let him go as there was less than a week left and he was on his way to work. Apparently the closer you get caught when you were banned the harsher the penalty. He received his new license at the beginning of the week and is no longer banned. He is able to drive now once he gets insurance.
thanks for the update. the "punishment" amounts to about £1.35 for each time he drove while banned. haaaarsh

could you let us know how much his insurance will be ?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Absolutely disgusting.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's like the Police Camera Action type TV series where at the end of the programme after watching some idiot drive in a stolen car in a crazily dangerous and irresponsible manner and put the police through a lot of effort and expense to stop him and you hear the voice over guy say "he got a £400 fine". And you think "What was the point of that?"
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
thanks for the update. the "punishment" amounts to about £1.35 for each time he drove while banned. haaaarsh

Less than paying for transport and he didn't need to suffer inconvenience. What a crap sentence.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The judge was quite surprised the police did not just let him go as there was less than a week left and he was on his way to work.
That sounds a little far fetched tbh.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think the judge should be dismissed. A disgrace to the judiciary.
ILikePiracy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
That sounds a little far fetched tbh.
I was there, Uxbridge magistrates court, I was a little shocked as well.

(Original post by the bear)

Insurance will be 3 grand a year, used to be 1000
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was there, Uxbridge magistrates court, I was a little shocked as well.

Insurance will be 3 grand a year, used to be 1000
thanks for the info. it is a significant rise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (443)
59.07%
Yes- I don't like it (41)
5.47%
No- I want it (216)
28.8%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.67%

Watched Threads