The Student Room Group

PPE subject choices

Hi I'm in year 12 and really want to study PPE at Oxford. I've chosen my A levels based on what I like and what I think will get me into a PPE course.

I was wondering whether my a level choices are right for a competitive application. My choices are: History, English lit, Latin and Maths.

Anybody currently studying PPE at Oxford or any other uni pls help!! I'm unsure whether they work or not.
Original post by Noobeteers
Hi I'm in year 12 and really want to study PPE at Oxford. I've chosen my A levels based on what I like and what I think will get me into a PPE course.

I was wondering whether my a level choices are right for a competitive application. My choices are: History, English lit, Latin and Maths.

Anybody currently studying PPE at Oxford or any other uni pls help!! I'm unsure whether they work or not.

I don’t study PPE at Oxford, but would say that’s a good combination (I’m hoping to do an economics degree so know a bit about PPE). The main ones I believe are helpful are history and maths, both of which you’re taking. If your school offered politics, philosophy or economics A Levels, of course you should have take those, but I assume these weren’t offered to you? Otherwise be prepared to maybe answer questions on why you didn’t want to take them at A Level and now want to do a degree in them. If you get an interview you’ll also need to try and do quite a bit of wider reading.

Either way, english and latin are academic and respected subjects so would still be a good combination. Perhaps RS would have been helpful instead of english for the philosophy/ethics side, but at the end of the day if you’ve taken the subjects you enjoy and what you’ll get the best grades in, that’s more important. And, your combination seems really sensible and suitable for PPE so yes - if you can get strong predicted grades in those then I don’t foresee that subject combination being a hindrance in any way - it’s a pretty good combination as far as things go. The main thing is to do lots of wider reading and smash the TSA so start thinking about it seriously over the Summer. Good luck!
Reply 2
Thx man I really appreciate it.
Reply 3
Any more opinions would be welcome 😀
Original post by Noobeteers
Any more opinions would be welcome 😀

Your subjects are a good combination but keep in mind that for PPE at oxford your GCSEs need to shine too: https://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/images/PPE_admissions_2019-20_information_for_applicants_FINAL.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending