Taking the driving test in my car Watch

hoppeschild
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi. I want to take my driving test in my car, but I'm not quite sure how to get it driving exam-worthy. I know about the examiner's mirror and L-Plates, but I'm not quite sure what kind of insurance I need to buy? Can I just use the learner insurance that I bought to practice with my dad? Or do I have to buy a different kind of insurance?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hoppeschild)
Hi. I want to take my driving test in my car, but I'm not quite sure how to get it driving exam-worthy. I know about the examiner's mirror and L-Plates, but I'm not quite sure what kind of insurance I need to buy? Can I just use the learner insurance that I bought to practice with my dad? Or do I have to buy a different kind of insurance?
Your learner insurance is all you need.
MJ1148
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did mine with learner insurance and it was fine once u pass you have to cancel it tho and buy proper insurance.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Learner insurance is fine but you can't drive the car home once you pass unless you cancel the insurance and take out another policy, whether temporary or full
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 2 weeks ago
catrinana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hoppeschild)
Hi, I took my test in my own car and passed last month; I would advise that you check if your current learner insurance will cover you to take the test in your car (I've never heard of a provider NOT doing so, but give them a quick ring anyway and they should be able to confirm this). I'd also check what their policy is upon passing... some might require you to call them as soon as you pass to let them know, then your premiums will go up; or you might have to cancel it and get new insurance. I was using temporary monthly insurance, so my provider allowed me 3hrs to drive the car back to my home address after passing before the learner policy was automatically null and void, then I had to get a new policy with my full license.

Make sure the car also meets the other requirements like tax, MOT, and car model/possible faults; full list of requirements are on gov website:
https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/using-your-own-car

Hope this helps!
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They are very fussy about any warning lights on the dashboard. If there are any they will stop the test and you will fail straight away. Make sure the tyres are legal too. And nothing else obviously wrong, like a very smokey exhaust.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (497)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.17%
No- I want it (235)
28.28%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.74%

Watched Threads