R52 – MR from the SOS for FCO, Saudi Arabia. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
R52 – Ministerial Report from the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs

I can announce that the government has chosen to suspend all arms sales to Saudi Arabia, a country who has been using arms provided by this country during the war in Yemen, killing many innocent civilians.

The government would also like to confirm that we will not contest the June 2019 Court of Appeal decision declaring the continued sale of these weapons to be unlawful. This government wholeheartedly agrees with said verdict.

Finally, the government also wishes to make such sales illegal in law and establish a regulatory body to oversee this - this will be achieved through the intended passage of the Arms Exports Act 2020. Should the mentioned bill not pass but this report does, this section shall not take effect.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Please see my remarks on the Bill.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Again, a firm no. British arms are being used to combat terrorists and radical insurgents in Yemen, it is always unfortunate when civilians die but that doesn’t mean we should stop supporting an ally country completely when that country is under siege from terrorism.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If they don't buy from the UK, they'll just buy from somewhere else. All this changes is for the UK to make less money and to have less knowledge on the military of Saudi Arabia.

Andrew97 I would like to send this to a vote once discussion here concludes.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Two different items on the same subject seems a bit excessive to me.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Indeed, the bill alone would have sufficed.
SankaraInBloom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nay. I swear this government must have an absolute death wish - I eagerly anticipate a mass oil crisis as a direct result of the once-proud Foreign Office being superseded by bleeding heart liberals with no actual knowledge of geopolitics choosing to antagonise a major non-NATO ally.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What British-made weapons are being used to kills civilians in Saudia Arabia? Even the authors of the infamous report stop short of naming the weapons. I doubt the problem is as significant as is made out
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
(Original post by The Mogg)
Indeed, the bill alone would have sufficed.
No. Technically speaking the Foreign Secretary is correct here although premature in timing (he/she should have waited until the bill had become law).

The bill itself is general and only mandates that a motion from the floor of the House be reviewed. It is still for the executive to state specifically (where deviating from canon) that they have now stopped the arms exports to Saudi.

Mr Speaker, i shall be opposing this statement.

While the war in Yemen is unfortunate it is part of the wider Saudi-Iran conflict (in turn somewhat proxies of the USA and Russia). While a world in which in this war was unnecessary would be ideal the sad state of affairs is that the global economy still depends on both low oil prices and a significant proportion of global trade flowing through the region. In this context stronger Saudi influence in the region is preferable to that of Iran.

In tandem with the horrific policy of giving away our base in the region this would further damage the region in the long run and that is before we consider the fact that if we don't sell them weapons somebody else will.

Until the UK economy is substantially restructured away from the need for imported oil based products and energy our alliance with Saudi Arabia is required.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
If they don't buy from the UK, they'll just buy from somewhere else. All this changes is for the UK to make less money and to have less knowledge on the military of Saudi Arabia.

Andrew97 I would like to send this to a vote once discussion here concludes.
This has entered division at the request of the LoTo.

Division, clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (471)
66.62%
No (236)
33.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed