Currently in year 4 of medicine.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Do FY1 and FY2, then apply to Internal Medicine Training, then apply to Gastroenterology ST4.

IMT: https://www.imtrecruitment.org.uk/

ST3 Gastro: https://www.st3recruitment.org.uk/sp...stroenterology (will be ST4 by the time you apply)
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
IMT and MRCP then apply for gastroenterology specialty training.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You decide on top, bottom, or both, you pick up the camera and you're on your way.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can someone clarify what med reg is? The people who sit in A&E...
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can someone clarify what med reg is? The people who sit in A&E...
The registrar on call for general medicine specialties. Different hospitals have different set ups but broadly speaking the job is split into running the take (admitting acute patients) and covering the wards. There is increasing amounts of ambulatory care work too.

In larger hospitals some medical specialties have their own dedicated on call team (on site or at home) e.g. cardiology, gastro, renal, etc. In other hospitals the med reg may cover all medical specialties out of hours.
Anonymous #1
Oh okay, that makes sense.

How do these people become on-call med reg?
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh okay, that makes sense.

How do these people become on-call med reg?
Its compulsory if you are a registrar in the relevant specialities (and in the future, an IMT3). They've recently made it compulsory for more specialities than before.

In the future, in theory at least, that will be all SpRs from: Acute Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Endocrinology & Diabetes Mellitus, Gastroenterology, Genitourinary Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Infectious Diseases (except when dual with Medical Microbiology or Virology), Neurology, Palliative Medicine, Renal Medicine, Respiratory Medicine and Rheumatology. https://www.jrcptb.org.uk/imt

Its a frequent gap as well, through rota gap or sickness, so you get a fair few locums doing the role as well. Or you can get people to act up - passing PACES is often viewed as the threshold you need to get over to do the job.

Its widely viewed as the worst job in the hospital. That's why they're forcing more people to do it.
Jckc123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Its compulsory if you are a registrar in the relevant specialities (and in the future, an IMT3). They've recently made it compulsory for more specialities than before.

In the future, in theory at least, that will be all SpRs from: Acute Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Endocrinology & Diabetes Mellitus, Gastroenterology, Genitourinary Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Infectious Diseases (except when dual with Medical Microbiology or Virology), Neurology, Palliative Medicine, Renal Medicine, Respiratory Medicine and Rheumatology. https://www.jrcptb.org.uk/imt

Its a frequent gap as well, through rota gap or sickness, so you get a fair few locums doing the role as well. Or you can get people to act up - passing PACES is often viewed as the threshold you need to get over to do the job.

Its widely viewed as the worst job in the hospital. That's why they're forcing more people to do it.
Well, at least with the new IMT3 aka junior reg aka rota gap filler. Dghs might actually have 2 regs Oncall now rather than one.
And it might make the med regs life alot more easier.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jckc123)
Well, at least with the new IMT3 aka junior reg aka rota gap filler. Dghs might actually have 2 regs Oncall now rather than one.
And it might make the med regs life alot more easier.
We'll see!
Anonymous #1
Will this new change affect me once I graduate? I am in year 4..
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well yes, because CMT had their last intake in 2018/19. The first cohort of IMT doctors started in 2019/20 (i.e. August 2019).

ST3 recruitment is still on track for this year (the last cohort of CMTs are now in their CT2 year, and applying for ST3).

From next year onwards there will be a year when IMT2 doctors will mostly move to IMT3 and only those applying to Group 2 specialties (e.g. Allergy Medicine, Dermatology etc.) will have ST3 recruitment. All other doctors will apply to specialty ST4 recruitment in 2022/23 for Group 1 specialties.

So you're about 4 years too late, if you wanted to do CMT.

For your information:
Group 1 specialties: Acute Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Endocrinology & Diabetes Mellitus, Gastroenterology, Genitourinary Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Infectious Diseases (except when dual with Medical Microbiology or Virology), Neurology, Palliative Medicine, Renal Medicine, Respiratory Medicine and Rheumatology.

Group 2 specialties: Allergy, Audiovestibular Medicine, Aviation & Space Medicine, Clinical Genetics, Clinical Neurophysiology, Dermatology, Haematology, Immunology, Infectious Diseases (when dual with Medical Microbiology or Virology), Medical Oncology, Medical Ophthalmology, Nuclear Medicine, Paediatric Cardiology, Pharmaceutical Medicine, Rehabilitation Medicine and Sport and Exercise Medicine.
Anonymous #1
Sorry maybe I didn't phrase my question properly.

What pathway will I be following? It will be IMT right How many years is IMT? Is this new program set in stone?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry maybe I didn't phrase my question properly.

What pathway will I be following?
IMT - by the time you'll doing it, it will be well established (hopefully!)

It will be IMT right How many years is IMT?
Depending on the specialty you want to do. For Group 1 specialties (including Gastro) it's 3 years. Then Gastro will be 4 years (at the moment, it may be longer depending on the Gastro training committees - for our specialty they are still thinking whether it should remain at 5 years, hence essentially adding a year of training).

Is this new program set in stone?
Yes.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well gastro regs always had to be med regs.

But yes you will do 3 year IMT rather than 2 year CMT.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by nexttime)
Well gastro regs always had to be med regs.

But yes you will do 3 year IMT rather than 2 year CMT.
Why do I never see IMT/CMTs on the ward? Do they have another title?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why do I never see IMT/CMTs on the ward? Do they have another title?
Officially they are CMTs / IMTs. Unofficially they are SHOs (senior house officers).

They are mixed with FY2s, GP trainees and others (e.g. MTIs, locums) so you may not know they are CMTs / IMTs.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Officially they are CMTs / IMTs. Unofficially they are SHOs (senior house officers).

They are mixed with FY2s, GP trainees and others (e.g. MTIs, locums) so you may not know they are CMTs / IMTs.
ST1s can also be SHOs right... this is so confusing!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ST1s can also be SHOs right... this is so confusing!
Yes:

Old term => New term

PRHO (pre-registration house officer) or HO => FY1 doctors <- usually lasts 1 year

SHO (senior house officer) => FY2 doctors, locums (e.g. "FY3, FY4" - these numbers don't officially exist), CMT / IMT 1 and 2 / GPST 1 and 2 / Specialty Training year 1 and 2 doctors <- usually lasts 3 years (FY2+CT/ST1+CT/ST2) unless you take a gap year

Registrar => ST3+ doctors (soon to include IMT3 doctors) <- duration varies
Anonymous #1
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (8)
12.31%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
4.62%
I need help with my personal statement (28)
43.08%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (16)
24.62%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.08%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.62%

Watched Threads