Best way to LEARN a PIANO AND GUITAR? Watch

Benjiman118
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Looking for advice on the best ways to learn/practise the PIANO/GUITAR . Please share your experiences, lessons, feedback and advice.

I currently play the piano and guitar (self-taught so don't know the grade). The way that I practise is learning a new song that I like via YouTube (for piano) or GuitarTab (for guitar). I have been playing for about 1 year on each.

I would like to reach the point with each instrument where I can play it without thinking too hard about technique and quickly learn a song after reading/hearing it.

My current abilities are as follows:

PIANO PLAYING:
- Can memorise and play pieces from composers such as Ludovico, Hans Zimmer, Max Richter and I learned to play the nice arpeggiated part of Clair De Lune Debussy.
- Can create my own basic compositions with simple melodies and arpeggios etc.
- Can (very slowly) improvise playing a piece that sounds somewhat nice. But have to look at each key that I'm playing.
- Chord shapes and positioning does not come naturally to me. I have very little special awareness of the keys.
- Have no idea whether I play with the correct hand technique and fingering.

PIANO THEORY:
- Cannot read sheet music.
- Cannot play by ear (My pitch is terrible I can't correctly identify any note).
- Have not memorised major/minor scales, I need to use the scale formula to figure out which keys are in the scales.
- Very basic understanding of music theory. (Can derive scales and understand how to get different voicings and chord types but that about it).

GUITAR PLAYING:
- Mainly stick to strumming.
- Can play basic chords in and around the first few frets.
- Can only really do bar chords in the 133211 shape.
- Can identify where each note is on the fretboard but takes me time to build chords.
- Can learn simple and repetitive picking patterns from GuitarTab, but nothing too advanced. (Working at the level of Hozier - Cherry Wine etc.)
- Again cannot decipher any note by ear or learn any song by ear.

GUITAR THEORY:
- I have to derive the scales on the spot, I imagine the keys on a piano for the half and whole steps. I do not know any techniques to quickly play arpeggios and scales.
nathan1403
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I can't really help you when it comes to piano, but for guitar you could look at video tutorials to learn scales properly etc. It's boring and will take a while, but it'll pay off. Make sure you're sticking to proper strumming patterns when you're playing, the whole down-up-down-up thing

Playing by ear is a skill you can train. The first step is to recognise different types of chords, you'll probably be able to do major/minor, but have a look at aug, dim, sus2, sus4, 7ths etc etc. Try this website for instance: tonedear.com/ear-training/chord-identification , it's basically a fun game and you can make it as hard or as easy as you like

Good luck and any questions just let me know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (475)
59.45%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.38%
No- I want it (228)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.63%

Watched Threads

Latest