The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I do at least i hour every day. More than 2 hoours on weekends. I think now my productivity is decreasing due to the long hours of work. So, I decided to decrease
Reply 21
It really depends on how much work loads I have on eacy day.
It varies all the time.
I've got 4 exams in Jan so I'm obvisouly revising.
Revision wise Im doing 2 hours per night during the week,which will increase during the Christmas holiday.Except im not doing any revision on Christmas day :biggrin:.
During weekend I do about 4 hours on a Saturday and Sunday each.I usually do homework during my free periods.
Reply 23
Yeh i do a ton more on weekends - it kinda oscillates... i have good days and bad days... sometimes i do no work... sometimes i stay up til 2.... altho usually i'm talking at the same time
Reply 24
When I finally do start revising, then I'd say 4-5 hours a night. One subject each night though, for me; I remember notes much better by focusing on one subject for a long period of time. Switching between subjects every hour is a distraction IMO.
LittleMissShine
I've got 4 exams in Jan so I'm obvisouly revising.
Revision wise Im doing 2 hours per night during the week,which will increase during the Christmas holiday.Except im not doing any revision on Christmas day :biggrin:.
During weekend I do about 4 hours on a Saturday and Sunday each.I usually do homework during my free periods.

Awww poor you with exams in January! Best of luck with them.
I leave my assignments untill the weekend, or I do them in class. I revise for tests for a while each day, in the week when the test is on.
My plan that I use works.
Oh man, that doesn't make me feel good! lol

I've only been doing the work that's been set for me, and I got 3 exams in Jan. But luckily the nw set for me is usually revision for a test or 2 each week, but still! I gotta start going through papers I guess.
Reply 28
Hi!....

I have seen people talking about how "Many Hours" they work........ well, my question is how do you people revise? any techniques or simpler way to revise... I am doing my AS and my exams are in june. I have 8 exams in june. I dont know how i will copy with these exams....... any suggestions?. I will appreciate if anyone will give me a simple way to revise.... as i have so many exams.... especially psychology its going to be so hard..... all 3 exams in june... for psychology ... and others as well. I really dont know how i will revise for this subject....as there are so many studies that i need to remember.... Anyone, knows the best way to remember things (Key studies, main points) .... especially for psychology.... Help!! Help!!
Reply 29
ThePenguinMafia
Near test time it can go upto 3-4, but it's usually half an hour.

Hi my names Amy, im new to this website but thought id drop a few lines in. I'm a 24 yr old student wiv a kid n a 20 hr a week job. I did **** at school bunkin off an ended up really messin my life up wiv drugs n stuff- well im over that now got job and doin A levels, i find it really hard to revise cos i never went to school, but trust me it worth all the effort wen u pass those exams an every one is proud a ya. At the end of the day jus do ya best an if ya av done that no-one can ask any different GOOD LUCK- don't revise too hard ya'll scramble ya brain!!! :smile:
Reply 30
kellywood_5
Awww poor you with exams in January! Best of luck with them.

Im also doin exams only 3 tho, but av got a 6yr old little girl an a twenty hr a week job (IM 24, left school at 14 through been a little S***). I really messed things up at school takin drugs (ended up wiv a heroin habit!!!) an drinkin, so nar after loads a time n effort ive sorted mi life out i've got a job and doin A's level - Sociology- English- social policy. I find it hard to revise cos of my other commitments, but still manage to do at least 2 hrs a day weekdays 3-4 at weekends, granted sometimes im at the computer at 3 in the mornin. What am tryin to say is that the effort IS worth it, trust me wen people said that to me wen i was younger i felt like tellin them to p*** off but its true. DO your best, make yourself proud cos you an only you are the most important person in the world (wiv family close after of corse). But remember that ya best is all ya can do, an ya havn't failed if ya dont get an A or watever REMEMBER THAT!! :smile: :smile:
Hey, well done for getting off drugs etc, that must have been really hard. It's great that you had the determination to do that, and your story could stop other people going the same way. What do you think of your A-levels? Do you do English language, literature or the combined course? What are you hoping to do afterwards? GOOD LUCK in your January exams!
It depends on what I have to do really. The two weeks before christmas I did nothing because I was at theatre every night and at the weekends so at times it gets like that and nothing gets done. In terms of revising I am doing work for my Unit 4 politics in Jan and a resit for drama so i'm doing a few hours a day. In the summer I didn't revise till study leave and then I had 3 weeks till english lit and politics so i basically alternated he subjects each day and focsued on one each day instead of switching..I try to do things like put definitions and quotes on post-it notes and stick them around my room so I can read them all the time and it seems to be working with the shakespeare quotes and do things like highlight stuff when im just sitting around..
Reply 33
littlemisshala
People who say that they're doing A levels and they dont study except for 'less than an hour' before the exam or whatever...they really make the rest of us who work hard and achieve the same grades as them really bad...do they lie when they say they do that limited amount of work?

This isnt targeted at any1 in particular, just curious...

My mate who got 4 a's in chem,bio,physics,maths in a crap college said he didn't do no work. However, i saw him in the library once when i had to return a book, this was 7pm at night .. he was studying.

I think they do secretly revise, maybe not as much as people that aren't as smart to achieve the same grade but i bet they do quite a bit of work.
Reply 34
nas7232
My mate who got 4 a's in chem,bio,physics,maths in a crap college said he didn't do no work. However, i saw him in the library once when i had to return a book, this was 7pm at night .. he was studying.

I think they do secretly revise, maybe not as much as people that aren't as smart to achieve the same grade but i bet they do quite a bit of work.

They all talk aload of crap when they say stuff they did no work.

I mean they must study very hard during the half term holidays, easter holidays and christmas holidays ESPECIALLY IN THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS!!!!!!! :idea: :hello:

From what I know. Soem of the most successful GCSE and AS and A-Level people did ALL their studying in the summer holidays and therefore READ AHEAD OF THE CLASS and were set for top grades.......

Alot of them lie and say they didnt do any work. When they have done loads and loads. But if they tell you the truth you would make fun of them and they would not feel cool enough and stuff.....
You have to work hard to get A grades unless your super intelligent genius or something.... :eek:
Reply 35
I think it all depends on the subjects you do. For example, I do ICT, Maths, and Politics. I hardly spend any time on ICT and I still get high grades and AS Politics at least was easy because I watch the news a lot. The only subject I think I can say I have to work really hard for is Maths.
Reply 36
Yep, maths is a killer. No revision = D maximum

I don't revise for media studies and get near 100% most times in 1 of the modules. [there's not much to revise for]

but with physics, chem, biology, maths if someone says they aren't revising and get good grades they must be telling porkies, either that or there is a bull alround laying an egg close by..
Reply 37
nas7232

Something interesting is that some people use thier older brother and sisters and get them to do their coursework and most of their homeworks for them. The girl who had the highest gcse grades at my school a few years ago. Her brother was the most successful student ever at gcse and alevel who had 8A* and 1A. She ended up with 3A8 5A but she was nto really that intelligent but had load sof help from her elder brother. Also for the GCSE in History the school is still following SHP American West and Medicine through time, Edexcel GCSE Maths has been running for well over 10 years now!!!1 :eek: :eek:

You really have to use all the resources available :wink:

I know one person at 6th form who used to spend loads of money on his books. He justr used to READ, READ, READ and READ more. All he ever di was watch TV and go on his computer and READ more and more. But he was quite overwight too and did n ot have much of a social life either.

DO all these people who get straight a's and stuff have normal childhoods and lifes? I wonder..... soem of might do but what baout the rest :eek: :confused:
Reply 38
nas7232

I don't revise for media studies and get near 100% most times in 1 of the modules. [there's not much to revise for]

but with physics, chem, biology, maths if someone says they aren't revising and get good grades they must be telling porkies, either that or there is a bull alround laying an egg close by..

What you must take into account is that the students who decide to select subjects such as Mathametics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, History, English etc.......

They are all armed with a A* and A grades and expected to do equally well in their chosen subjects.

With subjects such as maths you can only be brilliant at the subject or totally clueless and struggle to achieve enough UMS marks for a pass grade.

Still I have to say these people must study VERY hard. You can not get A grades without little effort.

GCSE you can succeed by doing load sof past papers and learning the FACTS and not really knwo WHY your doing it.

At AS and A2 you really do need a brain and need to think which is way too much for some people. They all must study loads but in secret and they probably dont boast about it to their friends who would most likely make fun of them and tell other people who then begin to pick on them and make their life hell. THye do smile and celebrate the results of their efforts with those A grades :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 39
nas7232

Believe me I've been there. I failed my AS last year in Maths but was allowed to continue. I did hardly any of the homework and did next to no revision. This time, I'm learning from my mistakes, started my revision weeks ago and I'm now far more confident. Hopefully I'll get at least a B this time round. :smile:

One of the reasons why ICT is so easy is because you can do well with no revision because two thirds is coursework. Plus there's also the fact that most students use computers all the time so most of it is common sense. I would assume media studies has a lot of coursework as well?

Latest