Temporary car insurance Watch

Nadim Chowdhury
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm turning 18 not too far away and nearly had a license for a year. Apparently I've heard you can get temporary insurance with 1 years license. So it got me thinking...

If I live in Birmingham and my brother brings his car from East London to Birmingham, could I get a temporary policy on it? Would I have to pay based on location or where the car is registered (east london).

I'm asking because my brother at 19 had a golf. He had a month insurance and renewed it every time for £200/month without black box because he took his policy out when he was in Southend, and Cuvva bases prices on your location at the time of taking a policy out. Locally cuvva was saying £900/month (scandalous).

I wouldn't be able to use cuvva, I have to be 19 for that. But there are other temporary insurance companies that offer policies to 18 year olds and was wondering how they base their prices.
Mustafa0605
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m 18.5 years old. There’s literally no temporary insurance you can take out that is reasonable at this age. I got quoted £440 for one week on my mum’s car! The best option is you get second driver insurance on a family member’s car or you splash the cash on insurance on your own car.
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
I’m 18.5 years old. There’s literally no temporary insurance you can take out that is reasonable at this age. I got quoted £440 for one week on my mum’s car! The best option is you get second driver insurance on a family member’s car or you splash the cash on insurance on your own car.
That's a real shame... really wanted a mk5 golf as a first car, but tbh I can wait, not the end of the world
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
On the plus side you can wait till you're 19 and get real cheap cover from cuvva, my brother was paying £200/month without black box in east London on a diesel auto golf. Insurance group 16. Trying to get insurance the traditional way costs an arm and a leg.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nadim Chowdhury)
On the plus side you can wait till you're 19 and get real cheap cover from cuvva, my brother was paying £200/month without black box in east London on a diesel auto golf. Insurance group 16. Trying to get insurance the traditional way costs an arm and a leg.
"Real cheap". That's still £2400/year and probably not far off what you'd pay for proper insurance on a small car at your age. You won't get NCB using temporary cover, and without that your prices for "normal" insurance will never come down. Temp cover for me is still in the £200/month region, but my normal car insurance is £350 for the *year* with 8 or 9 years NCB.

Also bear in mind that not telling your temp insurance supplier that you've moved addresses will still cause serious issues in the event of a claim and is still fraudulent.
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
"Real cheap". That's still £2400/year and probably not far off what you'd pay for proper insurance on a small car at your age. You won't get NCB using temporary cover, and without that your prices for "normal" insurance will never come down. Temp cover for me is still in the £200/month region, but my normal car insurance is £350 for the *year* with 8 or 9 years NCB.

Also bear in mind that not telling your temp insurance supplier that you've moved addresses will still cause serious issues in the event of a claim and is still fraudulent.
My brother did say where he lives and where the car is registered. He took the car to Southend and took out a policy. They priced depending on location, quoted 200 for the month. With a normal 1 year insurance, he got quotes for £6000.

He got stopped by the police. They asked for his license and insurance. He showed them both, and the police let him go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (497)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.17%
No- I want it (235)
28.28%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.74%

Watched Threads