SFE - advice needed for independent student status please Watch

Meganmoore99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, Extremely worried and put off starting university because of it. Without going into to much information, I will get get lowest maintenance loan due to my parents income being over 50k. However, they don’t want me to go to uni because they won’t, can’t and never have supported me since I left college. I am a mature student and have worked part-time contract but used to do roughly 28 hours a week in a pharmacy which I started October 2017. My course is due to start in sept 2020, due to being a month under the 3 year threshold I have worked for and my contract being part time would I not be eligible for the independent status? I honestly am so worried and feel like working again and putting MPharm off again for another year. I have saved as much as I can but just so concerned I am not going to be able to afford my accommodation yet alone food etc.
Please please help.
Thanks in advance - Megan.
Meganmoore99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meganmoore99)
Hi, Extremely worried and put off starting university because of it. Without going into to much information, I will get get lowest maintenance loan due to my parents income being over 50k. However, they don’t want me to go to uni because they won’t, can’t and never have supported me since I left college. I am a mature student and have worked part-time contract but used to do roughly 28 hours a week in a pharmacy which I started October 2017. My course is due to start in sept 2020, due to being a month under the 3 year threshold I have worked for and my contract being part time would I not be eligible for the independent status? I honestly am so worried and feel like working again and putting MPharm off again for another year. I have saved as much as I can but just so concerned I am not going to be able to afford my accommodation yet alone food etc.
Please please help.
Just feel really scared and alone in it all. I have none from colleges etc. To help guide me on how to do this. Worrying about money before I have even started, would be so grateful of any advice.
Meganmoore99
Rep:
?
Please please help.
Sunderland Uni Official Rep UCAS
StudentFinance StudentFinance
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
Please please help.

Sfe arent open outside working hours.

How old are you?

Here is some guidance on independent status.
https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/..._fs_1718_d.pdf

• they’ve supported themselves for at least three years before the start of their course.
This includes any time they:- were in paid, full-time employment-
received Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or other state benefits- received any pension, allowance or other benefit because of their disability or by any reason of confinement , sickness or illness- received training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

Three years- so you wont do it that way.

Only way imo if you are estranged or you are 25 or if you have a child.

You then have 2 further options- wait till 25 so you are classed as independent.
Delay going to uni, get a full time job and save £10-20,000.

I wouldnt start if I didnt have enough money that way only lies misery and possibly failing the course.
Jib and savings is an option as would estrangement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?