Georgia Medicine: New Vision University (SME)

Watch
Tzabrina
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by oreo524)
Hi

I know that you are entry to new vision university for a graduate entry medicine. May I know what is your first degree? Since right now I am studying aerospace engineering and planning to take a MD program. Also can you share more information about the NVU medicine?
As far as I'm aware, you need a degree with biological sciences modules for the graduate entry medicine course at NVU and science A-levels or equivalent for the undergraduate entry. Hope that helps. Do speak to SME via email, they'll give you more information.
jannerona
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Has anyone directly applied with NVU as opposed to going thru an agency such as SME. Trying to save on the monies. Thanks!!!
Al 1992
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jannerona)
Has anyone directly applied with NVU as opposed to going thru an agency such as SME. Trying to save on the monies. Thanks!!!
They will give your details to SME, been there done that lol
Jess9700
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Al 1992)
They will give your details to SME, been there done that lol
This screams corruption if the University is sending people towards an agency which is charging students £4000 just to apply.

Especially such a scammy agency such as SME.

There is a huge red flag about the University.
Jess9700
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by young Mind)
I know NVU is amongst one of the good universities in EU apparently when you apply with SME for NVU then your chances of admission get hiked because SME is the exclusive agency for NVU. however, I am going to Sofia MU in oct intake, feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
DO NOT USE SME. they are a very scammy agency.

If a university has an exclusive agreement with an agency which is charging £4000 then that is a huge red flag.

Also New Vision University is in Georgia. it is therefore NOT an EU member state, it is also NOT listed on the GMC's EEA list of countries.

I'd be extremely cautious if this "exclusive agreement" is true, as New vision is a new university which (Correct me if I'm wrong) but has had no medical graduates so far.

(I'm not even sure if it is a public university such as Tbilisi State)
Not saying whether NVU is good or bad as I don't know but this a red flag so proceed with caution
Sjjen3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jess9700)
DO NOT USE SME. they are a very scammy agency.

If a university has an exclusive agreement with an agency which is charging £4000 then that is a huge red flag.

Also New Vision University is in Georgia. it is therefore NOT an EU member state, it is also NOT listed on the GMC's EEA list of countries.

I'd be extremely cautious if this "exclusive agreement" is true, as New vision is a new university which (Correct me if I'm wrong) but has had no medical graduates so far.

(I'm not even sure if it is a public university such as Tbilisi State)
Not saying whether NVU is good or bad as I don't know but this a red flag so proceed with caution
Hi, it’s not uncommon for agents and universities to have an agreement. A similar situation exists between Medlink and Dnipro. You can however use medlink to apply to NVU as you can use SME to apply to Dnipro. 🙂

Try not too worry too much about the GMC ‘list’. They don’t actually have a list of what medical qualifications they will accept as they state it’s case by case. They do however have a blacklist of certain institutions that they do not recognise.

NVU is on the World Directory of Medical Schools. This along with a minimum hours of studies and a standard of relative credits to be reached allow students to be eligible to apply for registration with the GMC. They, like U.K. based students will soon have to sit the UKLME registration exam too.

All agents charge a fee, I’m not sure in what way you have been told they are ‘scammy’ so can’t really comment.

Hope the rest helps a bit though 🙂🙂
Jess9700
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sjjen3)
Hi, it’s not uncommon for agents and universities to have an agreement. A similar situation exists between Medlink and Dnipro. You can however use medlink to apply to NVU as you can use SME to apply to Dnipro. 🙂
And yet they both claim to have "exclusive agreements" Fishy.

It's not common for them to have exclusive agreements at all.
Public Universities such as Sofia MU have stated exclusively on their website that they DO NOT endorse any agency to recruit for them.

Masaryk university lists on its website the official recruiter (WHO DO NOT CHARGE a fee other than what the university itself charges which is like £99 for the entrance exam then you can get all your docs apostilled,translated and delivered for like £200

Try not too worry too much about the GMC ‘list’. They don’t actually have a list of what medical qualifications they will accept as they state it’s case by case. They do however have a blacklist of certain institutions that they do not recognise.
If you go to an EEA member country on the list, then as long as it is accepted by that state the GMC will recognise it. They have a list for this.

When you go outside the EEA, they will want to check it on a case by case basis. Yes as long as it meets all the requirements which the GMC states then it should be accepted.

All agents charge a fee, I’m not sure in what way you have been told they are ‘scammy’ so can’t really comment.
Not true, Masaryk University pays a recruiter and that recruiter Does Not Charge students other than the application/entrance exam fee which the Uni itself charges anyway

Not all charge £2500- £4000 to some students such as Scammy SME.
And telling students that they only have a few days to make up their mind otherwise the places will be full up.

getting some docs apostilled and translated can be done for less than £200.
Sjjen3
Rep:
?
And yet they both claim to have "exclusive agreements" Fishy.

It's not common for them to have exclusive agreements at all.
Public Universities such as Sofia MU have stated exclusively on their website that they DO NOT endorse any agency to recruit for them.

Masaryk university lists on its website the official recruiter (WHO DO NOT CHARGE a fee other than what the university itself charges which is like £99 for the entrance exam then you can get all your docs apostilled,translated and delivered for like £200

If you go to an EEA member country on the list, then as long as it is accepted by that state the GMC will recognise it. They have a list for this.

When you go outside the EEA, they will want to check it on a case by case basis. Yes as long as it meets all the requirements which the GMC states then it should be accepted.

Not true, Masaryk University pays a recruiter and that recruiter Does Not Charge students other than the application/entrance exam fee which the Uni itself charges anyway

Not all charge £2500- £4000 to some students such as Scammy SME.
And telling students that they only have a few days to make up their mind otherwise the places will be full up.

getting some docs apostilled and translated can be done for less than £200.
Okay, well all the very best with your studies and just apply somewhere you feel comfortable. ☺️

I must be lucky because no agencies have forced me to make a decision. In fact quite the opposite but I’m guessing you have an issue with SME judging by your responses. I hope you get to where you’re going regardless.

But the GMC really doesn’t have a list of ‘recognised’ schools. The only ones are in the UK because they’re under UK jurisdiction.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
...But the GMC really doesn’t have a list of ‘recognised’ schools. The only ones are in the UK because they’re under UK jurisdiction.
There are definitely med schools that are specifically stated by the GMC to be "not recognised".

Here you go: https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...qualifications

If your primary medical qualification is from outside the UK or EEA, we need to make sure it’s acceptable in the UK. As part of your application, you'll need to send us a copy of your qualification.

There are some qualifications we already know aren't accepted in the UK, or are only accepted in some cases. We list them in this guide.

You should check whether your qualification is acceptable before you start an application with us.

Once you have checked your primary medical qualification meets our acceptability criteria, you'll need to have it (and your acceptable postgraduate qualification, if applicable) independently verified before we can grant your registration with a licence to practise.

List of med schools that the GMC does not recognise: https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...-do-not-accept

List of med schools that the GMC may recognise, but on a case-by-case basis: https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...-we-may-accept
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
Sjjen3
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
There are definitely med schools that are specifically stated by the GMC to be "not recognised".

Here you go: https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...qualifications

If your primary medical qualification is from outside the UK or EEA, we need to make sure it’s acceptable in the UK. As part of your application, you'll need to send us a copy of your qualification.

There are some qualifications we already know aren't accepted in the UK, or are only accepted in some cases. We list them in this guide.

You should check whether your qualification is acceptable before you start an application with us.

Once you have checked your primary medical qualification meets our acceptability criteria, you'll need to have it (and your acceptable postgraduate qualification, if applicable) independently verified before we can grant your registration with a licence to practise.

List of med schools that the GMC does not recognise: https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...-do-not-accept

List of med schools that the GMC may recognise, but on a case-by-case basis: https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...-we-may-accept
Hi thank you for the information but it’s basically what I already said in my last but one post. 😊👍🏼
LuaRey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone 🤗 Are we expected to apply through SME if we are not from the UK? I emailed the University directly 10 days ago and no response yet... Which honestly seems really unprofessional 😒 At least they could have sent an automatic email saying they have received the email and would get back to me... Honestly, I don’t know what to think anymore as they are my last option to study medicine, but there is so little info online and the agency thing is very fishy 🤷🏼*♀️
Sjjen3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LuaRey)
Hi everyone 🤗 Are we expected to apply through SME if we are not from the UK? I emailed the University directly 10 days ago and no response yet... Which honestly seems really unprofessional 😒 At least they could have sent an automatic email saying they have received the email and would get back to me... Honestly, I don’t know what to think anymore as they are my last option to study medicine, but there is so little info online and the agency thing is very fishy 🤷🏼*♀️
Hi, as far as I know they are very much inundated at the moment, due Covid queries mostly, but you’re right. Maybe an auto email would be the best compromise at the moment ☺️

SME have become international so it may be the case you apply through them. I don’t want to say that’s a definite because I’m not 100%.
jannerona
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why does SME charge £2500 for some and £4000 for the others? I inquired and was quoted for £4000.
Jess9700
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LuaRey)
You are correct, they are very fishy.
DO NOT USE THEM they are ripping you off. Sorting all you docs should cost no more than a few hundred quid and is quite an easy process.
They are taking thousands of pounds for posting a few letters.

also NEVER EVER PAY BY BANK TRANSFER no matter what story they tell you, make it clear that you will only pay by credit card.
if they persist just say "sorry but I do not pay by bank transfer do not ask me again"

If you emailed the university 10 days ago and they haven't even responded, that is not good.
If they can't even organise their own admissions, that doesn't make a good statement about how well they can organise a medical education.
Jess9700
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why does SME charge £2500 for some and £4000 for the others? I inquired and was quoted for £4000.
Because they are there to rip you off.
The whole process should cost less than a few hundred quid.

They will say anything to take your money. Do not trust them.
NEVER EVER PAY BY BANK TRANSFER NO MATTER WHAT STORY THEY TELL YOU, any payments you make should be by credit card - that way if something is not quite right you can get your money back.
But better don't use them and don't pay anything at all.

There are lost of Universities in europe where you can apply direct and they will help you with your application and tell you everything you need. Its not as difficult as you think. Its actually quite simple.
Sjjen3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
You are correct, they are very fishy.
DO NOT USE THEM they are ripping you off. Sorting all you docs should cost no more than a few hundred quid and is quite an easy process.
They are taking thousands of pounds for posting a few letters.

also NEVER EVER PAY BY BANK TRANSFER no matter what story they tell you, make it clear that you will only pay by credit card.
if they persist just say "sorry but I do not pay by bank transfer do not ask me again"

If you emailed the university 10 days ago and they haven't even responded, that is not good.
If they can't even organise their own admissions, that doesn't make a good statement about how well they can organise a medical education.
Where do you think the money is actually going? 😄

It’s not just document sorting that they do by the way.
RSomeonenoone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by young Mind)
I know NVU is amongst one of the good universities in EU apparently when you apply with SME for NVU then your chances of admission get hiked because SME is the exclusive agency for NVU. however, I am going to Sofia MU in oct intake, feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
is it the 5 year route or the grad entry of 4 years?
RSomeonenoone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
what do you mean? for what are they charged for the admission fees or for the medical course fees per year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (34)
17.8%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.75%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.45%

Watched Threads