Theo_14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
a) Show that x/(1-x)^3=x+3x^2+6x^3
b) Using this result, together with a suitable value of x, obtain a decimal estimate of the value of 100/729.
Part a was fine, but I'm stuck on b. In the markscheme, they use x=0.1, but I don't understand how they chose 0.1.
BuddyYo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think it's a question about numerical approximation in which case, you can use either the sign-change rule or the iterative process to show that x=0.1371 correct to the specified d.p

Also, suitable x_0 is really up to you. It's arbitrary. It should ideally be close to the root though which is easy to do since it's been given already.
Last edited by BuddyYo; 1 week ago
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Theo_14)
a) Show that x/(1-x)^3=x+3x^2+6x^3
b) Using this result, together with a suitable value of x, obtain a decimal estimate of the value of 100/729.
Part a was fine, but I'm stuck on b. In the markscheme, they use x=0.1, but I don't understand how they chose 0.1.
A bit late, but part a) isn't quite an equality. The right hand side is the expansion of the left up to the cubic term. Really there are other higher order terms as well (quartic, quintic, ...).
So you want to estimate
100/729 = 0.1/0.729
which is x/(1-x)^3 when x = 0.1.

So sub x=0.1 in the right hand side to get a decent approximation (~3 d.ps, as it a cubic function) for 100/729.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (234)
67.24%
No (114)
32.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed