The Student Room Group

Choose BSc or MSc

Hi all

I am looking to do one of the online computer science degrees which are now available . I graduated unrelated a subject to the computer science some years ago and now work as an accountant but want to pursue my passion in computing.

I work part time so campus study is not an option.

The new online BSc offered by UoL (Goldsmiths) is appealing because it sounds pretty comprehensive in terms of course content.
Much more highly ranked unis (Bath and York) offer online MScs which can be completed in 2-3 years part time. The course content seems less interesting than on the bsc, with fewer programming modules and no dedicated maths modules. I guess this comes with the territory of 180 credit courses versus 360. These masters programmes do not generally have exams, but seem to be assessed by coursework/dissertation.

Does anybody have any knowledge of these courses? What is the quality of teaching like? How would job prospects compare for graduates of these degrees?
Would online MSc allow entry to “real” (non conversion) masters or PhD programmes? I am not sure that I go for MSc or BSc course?

Any idea on how employers would view the goldsmiths BSc versus Bath/York MSc?

Any help from current/former students or those with experience of the job market would be most appreciated.
Reply 1
PhD is something you shouldn't be considering right now, particularly since you haven't yet actually studied computer science, so you don't know whether you will really like working in academia or not.

Normally I would say do the MSc because you already have a degree, but you need to be sure that you will be able to complete it - if not, then perhaps do the BSc. Please also bare in mind, these courses may be extremely expensive so do a couple of MOOC (free online) courses instead to see whether you actually want to pursue a degree.

I would say as long as the degree is accredited, then it should be fine. Check the accreditation website, since it is computer science it may appear on the engineering accreditation website:
https://www.engc.org.uk/acad

Some companies do prefer "high ranking" universities so they may lean towards Bath /York than UoL but its hard to say really. I am not sure what you mean by doing a "real" MSc. Plenty of universities now offer fully accredited masters which are delivered online.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sara shahin
Hi all

I am looking to do one of the online computer science degrees which are now available . I graduated unrelated a subject to the computer science some years ago and now work as an accountant but want to pursue my passion in computing.

The new online BSc offered by UoL (Goldsmiths) is appealing because it sounds pretty comprehensive in terms of course content.
Much more highly ranked unis (Bath and York) offer online MScs which can be completed in 2-3 years part time. The course content seems less interesting than on the bsc, with fewer programming modules and no dedicated maths modules. I guess this comes with the territory of 180 credit courses versus 360. These masters programmes do not generally have exams, but seem to be assessed by coursework/dissertation.

Does anybody have any knowledge of these courses? What is the quality of teaching like? How would job prospects compare for graduates of these degrees?
Would online MSc allow entry to “real” (non conversion) masters or PhD programmes? I am not sure that I go for MSc or BSc course?

Any help from current/former students or those with experience of the job market would be most appreciated.

What did you chose? Are you happy with your choice?
Original post by sara shahin
Hi all

Have you looked at MSc Computing conversion courses, which is for non Computing BSc students
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending