The Student Room Group

A*A*A*A*A* student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HumblyBumbly
🤦🏻*♂️Okay. Now everyone has seen your comments and they can deem my advice either useless (as you'd advise them to) OR they may want to try it out. I will leave it to others to decide which they would like to do.

As for the second part - this is true, but is not only applicable in the past tense - it also applies now. Again - that is a fault of the exam boards, not my own. I am given UMS marks rather than raw marks. So that was a rather pointless statement. Regardless have a nice evening ....

Yes but you could have easily found out your raw marks and quoted them.
Original post by Muttley79
Yes but you could have easily found out your raw marks and quoted them.

You really don't like me 😅wow - haters are going to hate
You really don't like me 😅wow - haters are going to hate

When did I say that? I just pointed out that your advice may not be as helpful as you think :smile:
God you seem very bitter for some reason. I have stated multiple times that I did an EPQ and that it should have been a small case A* but I don't see how it is misleading to quote my grades.

as for this - I have tutored students the new syllabus and fair enough if your experience is, that they are harder, but content wise it is exactly the same, if like my school you sat all your papers in the summer.

But either way even if it were the case that it was marginally more difficult you make two assumptions: a) that my grades would have been different and b) that I therefore didn't deserve to get my grades because I was at an unfair advantage. Both are plausible but by no means certain. Especially since for Biology I overall dropped 4 UMS across my 4 papers (90/90, 148/150, 88/90, 150/150). Chemistry and Maths were similar. Indeed, I even know students who do coursework for their A-level sciences. But I don't see why it is an argument really. I was only offering people advice if they wanted it. You seem to want to spend your time criticising others. I have no idea why you'd want to do that.

Do you think that you would have gotten those results had you have done the NEW linear spec (at 17-18 years old) as I am doing where I have cram in 2 years of contents in my head then dump and apply all 6 modules for 12 exams at the end of the 2 years?
When did I say that? I just pointed out that your advice may not be as helpful as you think :smile:

Agreed which I why I don't believe an A* in the old spec for GCSEs and A-levels holds the same value as someone who got A grade 8-9/A* in the new linear A-levels and GCSEs. I think that someone's A* in the new linear spec holds much more value than someone who got an A* in the old spec as the linear spec is much more demanding and harder.
Original post by 1st superstar
Agreed which I why I don't believe an A* in the old spec for GCSEs and A-levels holds the same value as someone who got A grade 8-9/A* in the new linear A-levels and GCSEs. I think that someone's A* in the new linear spec holds much more value than someone who got an A* in the old spec as the linear spec is much more demanding and harder.

I think some people who got A* in the modular spec would get A* in the new but it is sooo different that you cannot assume this. If you got high marks in AS then it took quite a lot of pressure off Year 13. In the Maths modular spec you knew you'd have a question from each chapter - you cannot say this any more.
Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History and a politics EPQ

I study Medicine now :smile:

Do you have any tips for biology chemistry and maths and history I do those subjects how should I revise for biology
What resources did you use
What sites and books did you choose
What topics did you do in history
Where do you study medicine ?

( so sorry for all these question I want to study medicine as well )
Ask me any questions you like with regards to grades, studying, University. I am really quite bored of my studies at the moment and need a small break. I feel I might be able to help some people so ask away

Well done man (or woman)

Good on you for being smart and choosing modular A-levels too :wink:
I think some people who got A* in the modular spec would get A* in the new but it is sooo different that you cannot assume this. If you got high marks in AS then it took quite a lot of pressure off Year 13. In the Maths modular spec you knew you'd have a question from each chapter - you cannot say this any more.

Exactly my point but tbh If were to do an old spec GCSE maths paper (2016 and before) I would probably be able to get a B-A* (no revision needed), I only got a grade 5 when I did my GCSEs last year lol (high C to low B) but I didn't revise so oh well... Even looked at the new Sats (I did the old ones) and crikey they look harder
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ISHxxxx
Do you have any tips for biology chemistry and maths and history I do those subjects how should I revise for biology
What resources did you use
What sites and books did you choose
What topics did you do in history
Where do you study medicine ?

( so sorry for all these question I want to study medicine as well )

So for the first question see:

I would say it depends on the subject

For biology and chemistry very similar: go through a module, do questions from legacy papers even relating to that module and there are lots of sites that split the questions into modules e.g. physics and maths tutor. A level chem revise was great too. I made sure I understood the concepts thoroughly. It isn;t enough to know them in class. You need to be able to explain it to other people and that's something I used to do. I used to talk to people all the time about things and sometimes go beyond the specification. Even now doing medicine on weekends I will meet with friends and discuss pathophysiology of diseases etc... I will try to do the teaching whenever I can. It helps me think and get my head around things.

Then maths my method was always: questions in textbook, all of them and then ... past papers , past papers, past papers.

History is reading and practicing essays.

I would say since A-levels I have adopted new methods e.g. using Anki and working with others to practice stuff (v. important in medicine)

Resources wise:
Physics and Maths Tutor
A-level Chem Revise
Anki
And ... chemguide

are all very useful

History extra-reading can sometimes be cool, as can YouTube videos if you feel bored of reading. I did American History, British history in the 60s, French Revolution and Soviet Russia.

And I study in Oxford :smile:
Original post by AngryRedhead
Well done man (or woman)

Good on you for being smart and choosing modular A-levels too :wink:

yes woe to me - I obviously cannot be hardworking or academically capable because I was born a few years too early to prove my true academic abilities 😅
(edited 4 years ago)

True it just depends on their work ethic
How have you found Oxford so far - I guess you are a few years through now?
yes woe to me - I obviously cannot be hardworking or smart because I was born a few years too early to prove my true academic abilities 😅

Those grades are excellent regardless of what A-level system you do tbf; ignore all the people giving you a hard time.
Ask me any questions you like with regards to grades, studying, University. I am really quite bored of my studies at the moment and need a small break. I feel I might be able to help some people so ask away

What did you get in your GCSEs
Original post by AngryRedhead
Those grades are excellent regardless of what A-level system you do tbf; ignore all the people giving you a hard time.

Sorry disagree getting an A* via having to cram in 2 years worth of content to do 8-12 exams at the end of the 2 years, remembering ALL of the year 12+13 content (and having remember all of your equations) in an exam is much harder to get vs doing several exams throughout the year where your only tested on 1 module at a time. (Btw I strongly prefer the modular spec as it is more "realistic" especially considering the fact that that's how it's done at university). Screw the linear spec!! It's creates more unnecessary stress for students.
Edit: but either way the OP has done very well
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry disagree getting an A* via having to cram in 2 years worth of content to do 8-12 exams at the end of the 2 years, remembering ALL of the year 12+13 content (and having remember all of your equations) in an exam is much harder to get vs doing several exams throughout the year where your only tested on 1 module at a time. (Btw I strongly prefer the modular spec as it is more "realistic" especially considering the fact that that's how it's done at university). Screw the linear spec!! It's creates more unnecessary stress for students.

At University I have always had a linear system.

And as I indicated earlier in my A2 exams I had 3 maths exams, 2 biology exams, 2 chemistry exams, 2 history exams. That is ... 9 exams in less than 1 month (most students currently who sit the A levels will have fewer exams). But you are right, I got straight A*s and couldn't have got higher ... that is NOT good at all. I should have waited a few years to do linear spec. All of us that preceded you didn't deserve our grades. The logic is so idiotic.

Grade boundaries are modified according to the difficulty of the exams.
(edited 4 years ago)
Edit: but either way the OP has done very well

Go and put yourself in for IAL Edexcel A-levels, they're modular and if you're doing sciences you don't need to do practicals
Reply 78
how did you get an A* in history? x
Congratulations on the phenomenal results. I’m in year 12 and also would like to study medicine. I have the following questions:
What university do you go to now?
Do you have any tips for maths, biology and chemistry?
I’m don’t like memorising much so I tend to just do notes for chemistry and biology, and watch videos and do practice questions? I plan on making really brief flashcards based on the types of questions I find during practice. Do you think that would be ok?

I’m also not very naturally inclined towards maths so tips for that would be greatly appreciated.

What did you do your EPQ on and when did you start writing it? I don’t think my school offers it and I’m worried that will set me back.

How did you prepare for the bmat/ukcat and when did you start revising for them?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest