Should I drop out of Uni because I can't fit in? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm in my second year, I've joined most societies and made friends with everyone; I love my course but I cant fit in and I dont want but it means I don't really have close friends?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm in my second year, I've joined most societies and made friends with everyone; I love my course but I cant fit in and I dont want but it means I don't really have close friends?
How is your course and your exams going?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

If you love your course and everything else to do with the uni and studying etc, don't drop out because of other people. At some point you will bump into someone who you become friends with, it just happens at different times for different people. Enjoy your course, make acquaintances, but at the end of the degree your there for yourself! Good Luck!
The University of Law Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I think if you love your course you should definitely stay!

Making friends can be tough as although you can be friendly in class it is hard to do the same outside of the uni environment. Having said this, have you tried asking your society / class mates to do something outside of uni with you?

You could also maybe look at joining clubs outside of uni :-)
Mustafa0605
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You should wait one more year and then you’ll have a complete degree
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
How is your course and your exams going?
The course is great although not very organised. Exams went the best they could.
Anonymous #1
Hi,

If you love your course and everything else to do with the uni and studying etc, don't drop out because of other people. At some point you will bump into someone who you become friends with, it just happens at different times for different people. Enjoy your course, make acquaintances, but at the end of the degree your there for yourself! Good Luck!
Yes I guess you are right, at the end of the day I came to get a degree but it would be nice to have made some friends along the way
Anonymous #1
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hi,

I think if you love your course you should definitely stay!

Making friends can be tough as although you can be friendly in class it is hard to do the same outside of the uni environment. Having said this, have you tried asking your society / class mates to do something outside of uni with you?

You could also maybe look at joining clubs outside of uni :-)
Yes thats a good idea, I got a job but it ended up as the same thing
Parties
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wanting to drop out of something because you cannot fit in isn't a good mindset and is kind of weak.

I say you should stay and persevere your way through it. If you are making friends elsewhere, then you don't have to in your course.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Parties)
Wanting to drop out of something because you cannot fit in isn't a good mindset and is kind of weak.

I say you should stay and persevere your way through it. If you are making friends elsewhere, then you don't have to in your course.
Not when the idea of it all is affecting your mental health. I've made friends in every possible way you could think of but it never works out.
Razforest
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd look to change unis, do the degree somewhere else. You can do a degree at lots of unis, but you'll regret it if you missed out on friends/life experiences. It's tough going to uni, and not having the social life/friends you aspired to have. I'd repeat first year somewhere else as it gives you the best opportunity to make friends, but you'd probably be able to transfer to 2nd year at another uni too. Go to a new uni, start afresh, really make an effort to join societies and clubs, and make friends (especially if you're going to 1st year).

There's no need to just simply compromise IMO, if you want friends go for that too. As I said there are plenty of unis who will give you a degree I don't think you should forgo your social aspirations for just one when another will give you potentially both.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Finding real connections on your doorstep can be difficult. And won't get automatically easier if you drop out. What interests do you have that you'd hope to have in common with potential friends?
Parties
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not when the idea of it all is affecting your mental health.
Well, I know what deteriorating mental health is, mine was due to jaw dislocation by yawning and all the wonderful physical and mental symptoms that came with it. Maybe that's why I treat something like this as a source of poor mental health as being... well, weak, I guess.

Anyway, you shouldn't drop out over this, nor do you have to befriend your classmates. Just being able to have conversations with them should be enough. If you use this as a basis for dropping out, then what next? You go to the next uni, are unable to befriend folks there and then repeat the process? No. Don't let something like not fitting in with classmates (I am assuming you are friends with people outside of class) have such an influence over your life decisions and mental health.

What I'm most curious about is why are you having difficulty fitting in? Are your classmates mean to you or is it just a matter of having different interests and hobbies?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
The course is great although not very organised. Exams went the best they could.
If your exams and course are going great, then stay. It would be too late to leave now , unless you have serious issues. The ideal time was end of year 1.

I doubt you can do more than 2 maybe 3 societies at a push so cant see how youve joined most of them.

Maybe you need to take a look at yourself and consider your soft skills at making friends plus consider if you are in the right areas and making an effort? Have another go by renewing societies (which can take 2-3 months to get comfy with).
Ask for friend or people interested in meeting others.
Do activities that involve you and make the effort.
Review your soft skills and maybe its the way you interact with people?
The worst thing you can do is hang in your room. It is a two way street and you need to make sure you are giving the best chance to meet people, being accessible and you make an effort.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=friends...f=nb_sb_noss_2

As you are in year 2 work hard and get the bets results plus see how you get on with above.
See if things change and review at end of year.
You can apply now for transfer to year 2 in sept 2020 or just finish year 3 in 2020 at present uni if things are going ok.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=make+fr...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Parties)
Well, I know what deteriorating mental health is, mine was due to jaw dislocation by yawning and all the wonderful physical and mental symptoms that came with it. Maybe that's why I treat something like this as a source of poor mental health as being... well, weak, I guess.

Anyway, you shouldn't drop out over this, nor do you have to befriend your classmates. Just being able to have conversations with them should be enough. If you use this as a basis for dropping out, then what next? You go to the next uni, are unable to befriend folks there and then repeat the process? No. Don't let something like not fitting in with classmates (I am assuming you are friends with people outside of class) have such an influence over your life decisions and mental health.

What I'm most curious about is why are you having difficulty fitting in? Are your classmates mean to you or is it just a matter of having different interests and hobbies?
You shouldn't compare your mental health problems with others. All human beings are different.

No one has the right mindset they are all immature.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You shouldn't compare your mental health problems with others. All human beings are different.

No one has the right mindset they are all immature.
If you have mental health issues, then seek professional input. Personally though, I wouldn't drop out of university due to not fitting in given the year you're in.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,

I never had close friends in my first year of University. I met some people, flirted with a few groups. In my second year I found some really good friends -- in my third, I rely on them a lot, talk to them all the time, and we're planning to stick around in the city after University.

I wouldn't throw it away just yet. Things can change. You just have to be willing to make the effort too.
Joshua
williamho
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
many other students have a far different back grounds to yours.

some comes from rich families
and some came from poor families

some comes from broken families etc

as you can see there is a wide large of different backgrounds.
you need to be able to understand some one else disadvantage, such as overseas students who may miss their family at home etc

but everyone starts at square 1 on the first day of the university.

better to be social able and having a few jokes now and again.

university life is about the ability to see how to be friends with other students without bashing their heads together to get your views being heard.
and also enjoy your course and studying

joining a few clubs that would have costs a lot of money to do, such as gliding , sailing etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (330)
60.22%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.29%