The Student Room Group

Is America all its hyped up to be?

Everyone seems to rave about the US? Is it really that nice?

Scroll to see replies

America is huge - some places are fantastic and others are awful. Which ones you put in each category depends on what sort of places you like.
I like the unspoilt outdoors so I love New England, Key West, highway 1 south of San Francisco, Yosemite. I like the occasional city break so New York is fun.
I never need to go to Orlando or Miami again and you couldn't pay me to go to Vegas.
Other people love Vegas, Disney, etc.
I second this, plus arrogant, ignorant, and they weirdly fetishise people from Europe and the UK. I've been to all states and multiple cities in each state, and some people were lovely, but generally my experiences were fairly forgettable or negative.
Original post by chloenix

I moved from the UK to California 12 years ago. I like it, but,as @ReadingMum said, it's a vast place with the whole range of experiences. There are vast areas that are untouched, where little trodden paths get you into unspoilt areas. I live in Silicon Valley, which has people from all over the World, and, for me, is a great compromise between a major population centre (with good jobs), and being close to beaches and large, protected, parks. I'm a four hour drive from skiing, and half an hour from a beach, with the weather to use it. I'm lucky enough (well, could spend enough) to have a reverse commute, so don't get much traffic, and petrol is "free" (and it's "expensive" in California - Americans have a heart attack when they see prices in Europe).

There are places that I still want to visit e.g. New Orleans and Texas (Austin and elsewhere), although I'll get less culture shock than someone that hasn't been to the US before.

There are some areas that I wouldn't want to visit too, including because of the opinions of locals. I'm also often surprised by the extreme religion, which the UK doesn't have anywhere near the same level of.
Reply 4
Original post by RogerOxon
I moved from the UK to California 12 years ago. I like it, but,as @ReadingMum said, it's a vast place with the whole range of experiences. There are vast areas that are untouched, where little trodden paths get you into unspoilt areas. I live in Silicon Valley, which has people from all over the World, and, for me, is a great compromise between a major population centre (with good jobs), and being close to beaches and large, protected, parks. I'm a four hour drive from skiing, and half an hour from a beach, with the weather to use it. I'm lucky enough (well, could spend enough) to have a reverse commute, so don't get much traffic, and petrol is "free" (and it's "expensive" in California - Americans have a heart attack when they see prices in Europe).

There are places that I still want to visit e.g. New Orleans and Texas (Austin and elsewhere), although I'll get less culture shock than someone that hasn't been to the US before.

There are some areas that I wouldn't want to visit too, including because of the opinions of locals. I'm also often surprised by the extreme religion, which the UK doesn't have anywhere near the same level of.

Wow, that's really interesting.
I've always thought of America as some sort of dreamworld, mainly because of how people online portray it.
Would you say you prefer it to the UK?
Also how did you manage to move there, was it through education or your job (just curious haha)
Original post by ProbablyPallas
I second this, plus arrogant, ignorant, and they weirdly fetishise people from Europe and the UK. I've been to all states and multiple cities in each state, and some people were lovely, but generally my experiences were fairly forgettable or negative.

Wow seriously? Every single state?! That must have taken years and cost an absolute bomb!

I've only been to the deep south, where everyone was super friendly and nice (and super religious and racist ofc).

As to the rest... well its so huge I don't see how you can make a generalising statement. You'd probably do well to consider each state a separate country, at least in terms of physical geography.
Original post by nexttime
Wow seriously? Every single state?! That must have taken years and cost an absolute bomb!

I've only been to the deep south, where everyone was super friendly and nice (and super religious and racist ofc).

As to the rest... well its so huge I don't see how you can make a generalising statement. You'd probably do well to consider each state a separate country, at least in terms of physical geography.

My fiancé is in a band, I went with him to the US last time he toured. It took 3/4 months for North America and Canada. Obviously I'm generalising massively, but based on my experiences last time I really wouldn't go back to the US.

Land of the free and home the brave? How dare you!! :angry:

I’ve always thought that America is a massively overhyped place

It’s based on the misconception that it must be the best place in the world because of the high-rising, cosmopolitan cities which are home to all the world’s biggest stars etc; and also because of the samey, limited pictures you see of them on Facebook that only show the exact same things every time
In reality, America is undoubtedly just like anywhere else: it’s a ‘normal’ country which has its fair share of rough places, and the ‘nice’ places are in the minority, but social media doesn’t show it like that

The problem is that there’s nothing about America that appeals to me at all: the culture, the people and the society, the sheer size and even the places themselves don’t make me feel like I need to visit America any time soon
My friend has just come back from a week’s trip to New York, and his description reinforced my opinion: he said that whilst the ‘main’ part of it was nice like in the pictures, the rest of it was just like any other normal, rather run-down city; the people were really obnoxious, self-centred and narcissistic too, which he didn’t perceive as very welcoming

This may be rather biased, but if you compare America to the UK, I think it’s all in favour of our great little country: in my opinion, America seems to just be living off of its seemingly lavish, high-wealth perception to foreigners, but that just doesn’t beat what we have over here
Would you say you prefer it to the UK?

Yes. mainly for the weather and my ability to earn a lot. Northern California can be considered a different country from much of the US though.

Also how did you manage to move there, was it through education or your job (just curious haha)

Job. I worked for a US company in the UK and took an inter-office transfer.
As an American, screw America. Of course it's not the worst country but there's far better. Most of the country is just fields and usually those are okay, except for a few racist old people here and there. Most of the people at my school are honestly surprised we haven't had a school shooting here yet. NYC is filled with people who thought they could make their lives better by moving there but instead made their lives worse and live in poverty. Overall most of America sucks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (lots of Americans find British accents hot tho so if you go there and you're single you might get lucky)
(edited 4 years ago)

Over 11 weeks, I travelled through 10+ states. I personally found America amazing!

Had drinks in rooftop bars and the locals wanting to talk to me on account of my British accent 😌

I went to some college parties, which were also great. One thing to note is Americans handle their alcohol like we Brits did in Year 10 😂

I’m wanting to go back ASAP, maybe even emigrate there after finishing my MSc etc.
People who "rave" about the US invariably either a) have not lived there or b) are obscenely wealthy and will have a "good" life anywhere they choose.

America sucks, and I can tell you that as a bonafide American.
Original post by CTLeafez
Over 11 weeks, I travelled through 10+ states. I personally found America amazing!

Had drinks in rooftop bars and the locals wanting to talk to me on account of my British accent 😌

I went to some college parties, which were also great. One thing to note is Americans handle their alcohol like we Brits did in Year 10 😂

I’m wanting to go back ASAP, maybe even emigrate there after finishing my MSc etc.

Did you do a year abroad there for university?
Wait nvm you just travelled :s-smilie: I can't read
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
People who "rave" about the US invariably either a) have not lived there or b) are obscenely wealthy and will have a "good" life anywhere they choose.

America sucks, and I can tell you that as a bonafide American.

I think that’s a massive generalisation. I respect your opinion since you’re a local to the states.

From my experience (relatively limited) of living and travelling across the US for 11 weeks, I found it great!

Another user mentioned above about how the British are “fetishised” and I can understand that. I’d be approached by loads of American girls while there and even locals in rural towns out in the Midwest were wanting to chat.

I may not live in the US but I certainly don’t have the financial backing to have a “good life anywhere I choose”. I saved up for three years to go on my end of Uni adventure of the US 😂
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
Did you do a year abroad there for university?
Wait nvm you just travelled :s-smilie: I can't read

It’s all good 😂 It was an end of Uni present/adventure to myself. Had saved up for all three years of Uni to go.

Never been outside Europe before so it was quite an adventure 😌
It’s all good 😂 It was an end of Uni present/adventure to myself. Had saved up for all three years of Uni to go.

Never been outside Europe before so it was quite an adventure 😌

Nice :cool: If I was good at saving I'd do that too :biggrin:
I think that’s a massive generalisation. I respect your opinion since you’re a local to the states.

From my experience (relatively limited) of living and travelling across the US for 11 weeks, I found it great!

Another user mentioned above about how the British are “fetishised” and I can understand that. I’d be approached by loads of American girls while there and even locals in rural towns out in the Midwest were wanting to chat.

I may not live in the US but I certainly don’t have the financial backing to have a “good life anywhere I choose”. I saved up for three years to go on my end of Uni adventure of the US 😂

The reality of living in the US is very different to spending a few weeks there. I would note in my experience British people are the ones to fetishise America (albeit not necessarily the people) and have some bizarre obsession with it and wanting to live/visit there. Everyone of my American friends who has lived or spent a considerable time in Britain has commented on this to me, and all of them have much more realistic perceptions of the US and on life without universal healthcare, without statutory sick leave/pay, without statutory paid time off, and without knowing they cannot legally be fired for being gay/trans/chronically ill.
(edited 4 years ago)
Their food is the best. I never understood the fuss over French and Italian food. Sure, it's nice and less unhealthy, but USA food is picking your favourite flavours and having lots of it.
I've only been to New York twice and liked the main sites for a holiday, but much of the rest of the city was like any other really, nothing special. American culture doesn't really interest me all that much, the main thing I love about the US is its amazing landscapes and the sheer variety of different ones which we don't get in a small country like the UK. So that's the main reason I would consider travelling extensively to the US, for its natural beauty and not the cities.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest