SoftGingerCat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So one of the questions in research methods is asking for ways investigator effects can be minimised during an interview but the 'story' already said that the interviewers did not know the aim of the investigation so I assumed it was a double blind study. My book is only suggesting single blind or double blind so I don't know what to write??
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Could you be a bit more specific? Double blind usually means that both the participant and investigator don't know the conditions and most common in RCT trials with placebos etc. not so much interviews. Blind study is where the participant doesn't know.
SoftGingerCat
Rep:
?
Noodlzzz
The psychologist was interested in finding out whether dream themes differed between males and females, particularly in terms of social interaction. She decided to conduct a pilot study. Twenty undergraduate students (8 males and 12 females) volunteered for the study. For a six week period the students were interviewed at 9 am each morning when they arrived at university. Interviewers, who did not know the purpose of the study, carried out and recorded the dream interviews.

Question: What are investigator effects? Suggest one way in which they could have been minimised during the dream interviews.

I looked in my book to see what could minimised investigator effects and it said double or single blind studies. However, I thought because the interviewer doesn't know, that counts as a double blind study.
GiveMeCoffee4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Another method is to try to minimise the differences between the participants. Recording questions means that the tone of voice is the same for everyone. Remember, investigator effects can be anything the investigator does. The kind of sample chosen, their tone of voice, their physical actions etc. Try to think outside of the textbook, research methods tends to be quite generous with the possible answers you can give.
SoftGingerCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by GiveMeCoffee4)
Another method is to try to minimise the differences between the participants. Recording questions means that the tone of voice is the same for everyone. Remember, investigator effects can be anything the investigator does. The kind of sample chosen, their tone of voice, their physical actions etc. Try to think outside of the textbook, research methods tends to be quite generous with the possible answers you can give.
Okay thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads