The Student Room Group

Gothic Unseen Extract from the 1970s- OCR A-level

Hey Guys,
Basically I wanted to do some practice for this exam question type and I wanted to work on an extract which I started in class this week, from the 1970s, 'Interview with a vampire' by Anne Rice.
I'm just a bit confused how to link context in and other novels of this time period , as I dont really know the contet of this era properly, so I wondered if anybody could me some tips on how to tackle a critical appreciation, when the extract is a modern text , so during the mid-late 20th century or 21st century.
Thanks a lot :smile:
I have never read the text, nor do I have access to the extract, but you could comment on how Rice adopts and also alters features of the Gothic genre e.g. the Gothic monster, the use of Gothic settings, methods used to create fear or suspense. I probably wouldn't compare to other texts from this period - I would compare to Dracula, for example. You could also make a link to other Gothic pastiches e.g. The Woman in Black (which was published in the 80s).

In an exam, you don't need to know the exact context - as long as your comments are believable, then that's fine.

E.g. If I had an unseen extract from The Kite Runner, I could deduce that it is postmodernist as it was published in the early 2000s. It's not what I would typically call postmodern writing, but if I said that the use of an unreliable narrator is characteristic of the postmodern genre, then I would not be penalised.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Foreverneek
I have never read the text, nor do I have access to the extract, but you could comment on how Rice adopts and also alters features of the Gothic genre e.g. the Gothic monster, the use of Gothic settings, methods used to create fear or suspense. I probably wouldn't compare to other texts from this period - I would compare to Dracula, for example. You could also make a link to other Gothic pastiches e.g. The Woman in Black (which was published in the 80s).

In an exam, you don't need to know the exact context - as long as your comments are believable, then that's fine.

E.g. If I had an unseen extract from The Kite Runner, I could deduce that it is postmodernist as it was published in the early 2000s. It's not what I would typically call postmodern writing, but if I said that the use of an unreliable narrator is characteristic of the postmodern genre, then I would not be penalised.

Ah, thank you very much, this makes more sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending