The Student Room Group

law? University or Apprenticeship

I want to become a solicitor and would like to earn while I do it. at the minute i'm planning to try and get a paralegal apprenticeship at level 4 then continue or find another company to do my level 7 solicitor apprenticeship.

But what would these apprenticeships be like? Would it be easier to study law at university? But I think the hand on trining would be good and improve my skills quicker...….

any advice or thoughts?
Original post by JadeDolphin
I want to become a solicitor and would like to earn while I do it. at the minute i'm planning to try and get a paralegal apprenticeship at level 4 then continue or find another company to do my level 7 solicitor apprenticeship.

But what would these apprenticeships be like? Would it be easier to study law at university? But I think the hand on trining would be good and improve my skills quicker...….

any advice or thoughts?

Why not apply for both and get some experience, then make your mind up plus save some money.
Degree apprenticeships are newish and they will be competitive. Will you have the grades so you can compete?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Why not apply for both and get some experience, then make your mind up plus save some money.
Degree apprenticeships are newish and they will be competitive. Will you have the grades so you can compete?

I’m predicted ABB in Re, history and psychology
I’m predicted ABB in Re, history and psychology

All depends on your locality but you arent going to be applying for the top tier unis as I would say you need a grade or two higher.
Apply for both and see what you get.
You can always turn either down, but at the moment you need offers.

any advice or thoughts?

Hi there,

Hoping I can offer some advice here.

Both pathways to becoming a solicitor have pro's and con's which are subjective to each person.

Going down the apprenticeship pathway will help you train on the job whilst getting a higher level qualification (fully funded by the employer) and earn a training wage. You can progress up to level 7 which is masters level, but it's likely that it will take you longer to become qualified as your education would not be full time like it would be at university.

The university pathway is well suited to those who learn better in an academic environment and can be a quicker way to go through the qualifications. The only thing that you would need to bear in mind is the experience side of things and how you are going to build the skill set an apprentice would. Many students do this by volunteering alongside their degree at a local law firm.

Take a look to see if there are many apprenticeships where you live and which companies offer them to help you build a better picture using 'Find An Apprenticeship' - https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

There's nothing stopping you from applying for both at the same time, as there is no guarantee that you will be offered an apprenticeship as it is very much like finding a job, it would be good to have a back up plan such as a law degree.

I hope this helps - please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending