Frank Peters
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Second year undergraduate chemistry student here
I can work out the d configuration like [Cu(phen)2]+ meaning Cu is +1 and has a d configuration of d10

however I want to know in depth the theory about why the s orbitals are forgotten about. do all the s orbitals go into the d orbital?

another question is why copper is still a transition metal when though it has a full d configuration.

In addition what do the f orbitals do in periods 5 and 6. do they have no effect because they are higher in energy and has little penetration to the nucleus.

Honeslty ive been going round in circles and I just want a good understanding of this because its really interesting.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Frank Peters)
Second year undergraduate chemistry student here
I can work out the d configuration like [Cu(phen)2]+ meaning Cu is +1 and has a d configuration of d10

1. however I want to know in depth the theory about why the s orbitals are forgotten about. do all the s orbitals go into the d orbital?

2. another question is why copper is still a transition metal when though it has a full d configuration.

3. In addition what do the f orbitals do in periods 5 and 6. do they have no effect because they are higher in energy and has little penetration to the nucleus.

Honeslty ive been going round in circles and I just want a good understanding of this because its really interesting.
1. 's' orbitals are spherical and unoccupied in the transition metal complex. However, according to molecular orbital theory they will be involved in the orbital map.

2. Read the definition of a transition metal.

3. They have a major effect on bonding. You need to read up on complexes of the second and third row transition metals. I suggest Cotton and Wilkinson, the standard tome.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (206)
33.28%
No (413)
66.72%

Watched Threads