_david2002_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I am currently studying maths, physics and computer science A-levels at college and have received offers from Newcastle, Northumbria, Nottingham and Sheffield universities, however I feel like I have made a wrong decision in choosing computer science mainly because I don't see many programming opportunities in the UK (north east) which pay good sums of money, the only high salary jobs I see are those from London however due to the high living costs in London I don't want to dedicate my life there just to earn a high salary, I just want to know if there are many high salary opportunities around this area or is it mainly dedicated to London because until now I was lead to believe that programming is amongst the highest paying jobs world-wide. Other than programming, what engineering degrees have a high salary and high demand especially for academical people and not just apprenticeships because I don't want to feel like my degree will have nothing to do with my career, after a look around I found chemical, electrical and civil engineering interesting however I don't know what there salaries/demand is like in this area, or whether a degree would be appropriate.
swelshie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Lots of engineering graduates and fewer jobs means low pay for a lot of engineering disciplines. By low pay I mean below national average for the age bracket and low compared to non-degree holders who left high school/college with similar prior attainment. Could end up spending up to 18 years education in total for MEng, high competition for placements, all for a £25k a year job with poor job security in a lot of industries! Not worth it.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by _david2002_)
I am currently studying maths, physics and computer science A-levels at college and have received offers from Newcastle, Northumbria, Nottingham and Sheffield universities, however I feel like I have made a wrong decision in choosing computer science mainly because I don't see many programming opportunities in the UK (north east) which pay good sums of money, the only high salary jobs I see are those from London however due to the high living costs in London I don't want to dedicate my life there just to earn a high salary, I just want to know if there are many high salary opportunities around this area or is it mainly dedicated to London because until now I was lead to believe that programming is amongst the highest paying jobs world-wide. Other than programming, what engineering degrees have a high salary and high demand especially for academical people and not just apprenticeships because I don't want to feel like my degree will have nothing to do with my career, after a look around I found chemical, electrical and civil engineering interesting however I don't know what there salaries/demand is like in this area, or whether a degree would be appropriate.
You can get well paid programming jobs in others parts of the country too - they're not limited to London. If computer programming is your interest I wouldn't be looking towards an engineering degree, which is mainly going to consist of applied maths/physics.
alex282
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by swelshie)
Lots of engineering graduates and fewer jobs means low pay for a lot of engineering disciplines. By low pay I mean below national average for the age bracket and low compared to non-degree holders who left high school/college with similar prior attainment. Could end up spending up to 18 years education in total for MEng, high competition for placements, all for a £25k a year job with poor job security in a lot of industries! Not worth it.
You hit the nail on the head, infact you just smashed it. OP mentions going into engineering for a high salary, I remember once being a naive engineering undergraduate who thought that because I could do all this complex maths and programming that I would be paid more, I couldn't be more wrong!

I went into a graduate position with 2.1 accredited MEng in EE from a good university and was on £18k whilst others at my school who could barely pass GCSE maths and English left school at 16 and picked a trade and are now home owners, driving about in Mercedes and having holidays in Australia whilst I am £30k+ in student debt being offered slightly above minimum wage for a lot of responsbilitiy and stress. Infact my cousin who had kids and was on benefits was taking home around the same pay as me at the end of the month without working or having those 8 years extra education I had.

This seems to be almost exclusively a UK problem. Don't get me wrong, you can still live an okay life as an engineer especially if you get into a big company but this is a lot of effort and very competitive nowadays
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (177)
58.61%
I don't have everything I need (125)
41.39%

Watched Threads