Ryan707
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a law student at university and have been given an essay regarding constitutional conventions and the rules of law. The essay is asking whether conventions are as important, if not more so, than rules of law due to the possible consequences that a breach of them can cause.

On the assessment criteria, it says that in order to gain a first, I must include "complex issues beyond expectation".

I was wondering if anyone knew what would qualify as "complex issues beyond expectation" in relation to this essay?

Many thanks
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
i think you're over thinking it or you don't understand constitutional conventions. i would start by looking at your lecture slides (at least mine always had examples of 'the issue' involving said topic. like what is the real problem here and who wrote about it. and/or go to your textbook as it will give commentary on constitutional conventions. the 'beyond expectation' part of your marking scheme probs has to do with demonstrating greater understanding and greater research of well-known issues, not issues that no one has ever thought of.

then, once you think you have a half-baked argument, i would sit down with whoever teaches public law and explain it to them. personally can gauge how good my ideas are just based on my lecturers' reactions.

but may i ask - what is the problem with constitutional conventions? how do they work in practice and what would happen to the constitution if everyone just decided not to follow them. i mean they aren't legally binding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (98)
5.06%
Uncertainty around my education (290)
14.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (205)
10.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (271)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (85)
4.39%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.73%
Loneliness (168)
8.67%
Financial worries (69)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.44%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (107)
5.52%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (170)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (185)
9.55%

Watched Threads