How do I take my potential first car home from the seller's place? Watch

jon_prex
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I think I just found the perfect first car. Just under £800 and only 26K miles and looks decent. Problem is, the seller is 20 miles away. I can get to the seller no problem using the bus but how do I get the car back home? What is usually the process for this? Also, I haven't passed my driving test yet but everyone advised me to buy a car anyway.
ReadingMum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You need to take someone with you who can drive it home and either use their insurance if they have it on another car or just do a day's insurance over the phone when you buy it. Is it a private sale? Every car we have bought from a dealer has come with 5 days insurance just for this reason
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Needs taxed and insured before you take it away. I don't really agree with buying one before passing tbh...it's a lot of money, esp if you fail and it just sits there.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jon_prex)
So I think I just found the perfect first car. Just under £800 and only 26K miles and looks decent. Problem is, the seller is 20 miles away. I can get to the seller no problem using the bus but how do I get the car back home? What is usually the process for this? Also, I haven't passed my driving test yet but everyone advised me to buy a car anyway.
You must complete the relevant paperwork, then tax the vehicle with the new keeper slip, then get someone to get insurance and drive it home.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When I did this I went to look at the car, paid for it and took the keys, filled in the paperwork etc. Went home insured myself on it and taxed it, then later my mate dropped me down to the car and I drove home.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Everyone is advising you to buy the car?

I'm sorry what? £800 for a car that only has 26k miles? Is that seriously not a HUGE red flag to anyone else? There's a catch there somewhere. It's either on its death bed with a lot of major repairs needed, or it's some old thing that has spent most of its life sat doing nothing and the odd times it has been used were for very short trips. Either way, it sounds like a very poor purchase to me since the car is likely on its death bed whichever way it has spent its life. Sounds like it'll be the car you buy that runs for 6 months then kicks the bucket.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 2 weeks ago
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)

I'm sorry what? £800 for a car that only has 26k miles? Is that seriously not a HUGE red flag to anyone else? There's a catch there somewhere. It's either on its death bed with a lot of major repairs needed, or it's some old thing that has spent most of its life sat doing nothing and the odd times it has been used were for very short trips. Either way, it sounds like a very poor purchase to me since the car is likely on its death bed whichever way it has spent its life.
True.
jon_prex
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago

I'm sorry what? £800 for a car that only has 26k miles? Is that seriously not a HUGE red flag to anyone else? There's a catch there somewhere. It's either on its death bed with a lot of major repairs needed, or it's some old thing that has spent most of its life sat doing nothing and the odd times it has been used were for very short trips. Either way, it sounds like a very poor purchase to me since the car is likely on its death bed whichever way it has spent its life.
No, everyone is advising me to buy a car before I pass my test.

I did also think about the mileage and price but the seller says they can provide full service history. The car is a Suzuki Alto GL 1.1 5dr
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I'm sorry what? £800 for a car that only has 26k miles? Is that seriously not a HUGE red flag to anyone else?
Oh, I just didn't see any of that as my problem
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I did also think about the mileage and price but the seller says they can provide full service history. The car is a Suzuki Alto GL 1.1 5dr
A FSH isn't going to mean much when the internals of the engine are all corroded due to a lack of movement and oil.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I was thinking the same. My first car was 7 years old with only 36k on the clock, and my parents thought it was a steal. It turned out to be a right money pit, with various issues coming out of the woodwork (or metalwork ) after a few months of driving it. Most of the issues were due to age + lack of use: rust, brake and gearbox failures, disintegrating door and window seals, windscreen wiper motor issues, battery losing charge ridiculously quickly etc. etc.

Have you had a look at this car's full service history? Has it ever been written off? Will you get anyone (e.g. the AA) to come and look at it before you buy?
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 2 weeks ago
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Having a car to practice in will help with passing but note that most of the learner insurance policies like Marmalade and Veygo will not cover you if the car is in your name. RAC learner insurance were fine with this for my daughter
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Make sure someone knowledgeable checks it over - it sounds very cheap. Read other posts for what you need to do - you must not drive it without taxing and insuring it [and having someone suitably qualified with you].
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
Having a car to practice in will help with passing but note that most of the learner insurance policies like Marmalade and Veygo will not cover you if the car is in your name. RAC learner insurance were fine with this for my daughter
Good point, a lot of learner policies will only cover cars that already have their own valid insurance policy in place i.e a parents car. I'm with Hastings as they let me insure my own car.
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
we had to add daughter's car onto our multi car policy as well since she got practice by driving to places, getting out to do whatever activity it was, us driving home etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (480)
59.48%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.33%
No- I want it (231)
28.62%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.57%

Watched Threads