Are the CGP Revision Guides a good replacement for Textbooks?

Watch
AchyutChaudhary
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello everyone,
Hope you're doing good!

I was just wondering, are the CGP Revision Guides a good replacement for Textbooks, especially in subjects such as science?
I do Triple Sciences for the new 9-1 GCSE's (AQA) and our school uses the Exam Board-approved Textbooks to teach us (the Kerboodle ones), but our school also sold us the CGP Revision Guides and Workbooks.

Because the textbooks are very huge, complex and have numerous pages, I do not have enough time to go through the whole Textbook, especially just a few months before the exams. I usually prefer to learn through the CGP Revision Guides as they are short, concise and I believe they cover pretty much the entire Specification. I have often heard that they contain everything we need to know for our exams. They also explain the concepts very well. The CGP ones in particular look very detailed too.

Hence, do you know if I just use the CGP Revision Guides for studying and revision instead of Textbooks, will I be able to get good grades in the exams?
Has anyone used the CGP Revision Guides for Science and achieved high grades?

Thanks and have a lovely day
Last edited by AchyutChaudhary; 11 months ago
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by AchyutChaudhary)
Hello everyone,
Hope you're doing good!

I was just wondering, are the CGP Revision Guides a good replacement for Textbooks, especially in subjects such as science?
I do Triple Sciences for the new 9-1 GCSE's (AQA) and our school uses the Exam Board-approved Textbooks to teach us, but our school also sold us the CGP Revision Guides and Workbooks.

Because the textbooks are very huge, complex and have numerous pages, I do not have enough time to go through the whole Textbook, especially just a few months before the exams. I usually prefer to learn through the CGP Revision Guides as they are short, concise and I believe the cover pretty much the entire Specification. I have often heard that they contain everything we need to know for our exams. They also explain the concepts very well. The CGP ones in particular look very detailed too.

Hence, do you know if I just use the CGP Revision Guides for studying and revision instead of Textbooks, will I be able to get good grades in the exams?
Has anyone used the CGP Revision Guides for Science and achieved high grades?

Thanks and have a lovely day
They are way better than textbooks believe me, you just have to look at their reviews and the people who use them both around you and online to know they can give you 9s.
Whenever you have those "Endorsed by whatever exam board" books run AWAY. (But for A levels it's wiser to use them)
And CGP is being very generous to GCSE students now, look at the crazy amount of resources they made for every GCSE subject, when I did my GCSEs it was only just revision guides and they weren't available for every subject I was doing.
Last edited by The RAR; 11 months ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
For gcses, yes but for a-levels, no. They are a good condensed overview of subjects and its easier to understand. I definitely used CGP for my revision and i really didnt know exam board textbooks existed till a levels. You will be able to get good grades in the exam if you can apply that knowledge to questions so remembers to practice as well. I used it for science and it was a godsend for practicals, especially for the 6 marker method question.
InspiredPleb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
For gcses, yes but for a-levels, no. They are a good condensed overview of subjects and its easier to understand. I definitely used CGP for my revision and i really didnt know exam board textbooks existed till a levels. You will be able to get good grades in the exam if you can apply that knowledge to questions so remembers to practice as well. I used it for science and it was a godsend for practicals, especially for the 6 marker method question.
I second this. I haven't even finished GCSE's yet, but my sister swears on using the textbooks for A Level Physics and Chemistry, as they need that sort of immense detail. However, CGP is fantastic for straight revision in GCSE - my Science class was without a qualified teacher for over a year and our sole source of relearning everything was the CGP books, and we've achieved pretty darn good on the mocks as a whole. Just do remember to practice as exam boards pull no punches with the range of questions.
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Agree with everyone above. You can get away with them for GCSE (although if you’re aiming for a 9 or hoping to take a science at A Level, looking at the textbook at some point is helpful). For A Levels though, revision guides won’t cut it - textbooks are needed there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise