Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My roommate and I have received summons for late payment council tax for the whole year upfront. I didnt know we had to pay council tax as I thought students were exempted. But in this accommodation, apparently people pay council tax as well as TV license.

I had received 1 letter and it asked for 56 pounds which I paid. However, I received this summons and another letter which asked for 175 pounds. Due to late arrival of the letter, I could not pay on time.
Anyway, the court hearing date is 5th March and the letter says if I make the payment before this date, the case will be withdrawn.
I just have a few concerns regarding this issue. The letter addressed to me and roommate have the same account number/reference number. So I dont understand how can I pay or how she can pay when the number is the same?

Also, will I go to jail for this?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Are you full time students?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the both of you are fulltime students and the only ones living in your flat (not building but physical flat). Then you are exempt and should've contacted the council to tell them this. They don't know you are full time students unless you tell them
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're a full time student then you should be exempted, but the onus is on you to contact your local council with the exemption form.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Are you full time students?
Yes
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MidgetFever)
If you're a full time student then you should be exempted, but the onus is on you to contact your local council with the exemption form.
But how to contact them? Any email ? Calling them doesnt help
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
If the both of you are fulltime students and the only ones living in your flat (not building but physical flat). Then you are exempt and should've contacted the council to tell them this. They don't know you are full time students unless you tell them
Can anything be done now?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I find it's usually easier just to go to the office and ask for an exemption form, just remember to get the proof from your university beforehand though.
Calling them takes forever.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
You shouldnt be paying anything in respect of the CT.

Go to the local councils website and look up student exemptions.
Talk to them on the helpline.
Go to your own uni website and see how they provide a letter confirming you are a full time student and where you live.
Ask council for a reassessment and ask for your money back as well.
If you have to ring the court up and explain you are a student, realise you are exempt and are sorting it out with the council.

In terms of the TV licence, then thats for you to sort out a split between the rest of the house.

How many in the house? how many working and how many full time students?

It will be on the council website.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I find it's usually easier just to go to the office and ask for an exemption form, just remember to get the proof from your university beforehand though.
Calling them takes forever.
You shouldnt be paying anything in respect of the CT.

Go to the local councils website and look up student exemptions.
Talk to them on the helpline.
Go to your own uni website and see how they provide a letter confirming you are a full time student and where you live.
Ask council for a reassessment and ask for your money back as well.
If you have to ring the court up and explain you are a student, realise you are exempt and are sorting it out with the council.

In terms of the TV licence, then thats for you to sort out a split between the rest of the house.

How many in the house? how many working and how many full time students?

It will be on the council website.
Yes I do have confirmation of enrollment as a full time student. My local council is Camden Borough of London and I'm planning to visit them on Monday.
Will they agree to exempt me?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
You can usually get a specific letter from your uni.
https://www.camden.gov.uk/council-tax-student-discounts
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As long as you and the person you're living with are both full time students, I don't see why they wouldn't.
Anonymous #1
You can usually get a specific letter from your uni.
https://www.camden.gov.uk/council-tax-student-discounts
Thanks. I did make an account right now but I cannot find the council tax exemption area.??? Could you please help?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes. Phone them up
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Yes. Phone them up
Doesnt help. On the site, it says to register for council tax and I did. But my address doesnt show up. By address I mean flat number. They have a couple of flats listed but mine isnt showing up.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Why are you unable to call them and speak to a human being?
Anonymous #1
Why are you unable to call them and speak to a human being?
It has automated responses and the person on the call says to fill a form of exemption but on the website my flat address isnt listed for council tax
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed