R53 –MR from the Culture Secretary. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
R53 –Ministerial Report from the Culture Secretary- Applications to UNESCO for eight UK traditions to be considered Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.

Following the consultation on what events and traditions should ask to be considered by UNESCO to be Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity, I have considered the responses and reviewed them against what I understand to be the criteria UNESCO set.

The Government will be making an application for eight events or traditions that they believe meet the criteria. These are:

Bog Snorkelling Championships, Llanwrtyd Wells, Wales
Cheese Rolling at Coopers Hill, Gloucestershire
Clog dancing in Wales
Morris Dancing
Notting Hill Carnival
The gathering at Stonehenge for the summer solstice
Up helly aa festival in the Shetland Islands, and
Wakes weeks in Lancashire.

Other suggestions do not appear to meet the criteria, except for fox hunting which I have rejected as it has been outlawed in the UK for over a decade.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As I said before, the recognition of clog dancing has always been up there with my biggest priorities so this is an obvious aye

Spoiler:
Show
But seriously, this will probably be the biggest abstain I ever give (if it goes to a vote)
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Objection - Yorkshire day should be included in this list.
SankaraInBloom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Welcome this call completely. These newly christened UNESCO Masterpieces are proud British bastions, key to our union and to the cultural enrichment we enjoy. My only criticism is that regions such as Yorkshire, Cornwall and indeed Northern Ireland miss out on conclusion. We should embrace all our cultural tenets, not pick and choose. Would it have done the Government any harm to pool choices from across the length and breadth of the United Kingdom, including that trip across the Irish Sea and the drive across the Pennines, or even down the M1?
Last edited by SankaraInBloom; 1 week ago
SankaraInBloom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Hear, hear. The fact no event has been heralded from a county which would have been in the top 10 of the Olympic medal lists on every occasion since 2012 is nothing short of a disgrace. Frederick Sewards Trueman would be doing cartwheels in his grave!
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Where are Oxford's matriculation ceremonies?
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Nobody really does anything special to 'celebrate' that day.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I back this, let's get those applications in.

To those folk wanting additions, we can always apply for them at any time in the future if we cannot agree now.
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aye we need to showcase our English Heritage to the world
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
In Oxford - usually?
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
In Oxford - usually?
:lol:
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
I presume they're written down in the statutes of the university, rather than being folk heritage.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Nobody really does anything special to 'celebrate' that day.
Not true - there is a ceremony with many attendees in York every year to celebrate Yorkshire day.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I will abstain due to the lack of recognition of Boxing Day hunts
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aye.
While other traditions, festivals and such may need to be added, this is a good list to start with.
Especially the cheese rolling... where else in the world would you see that?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SankaraInBloom)
Welcome this call completely. These newly christened UNESCO Masterpieces are proud British bastions, key to our union and to the cultural enrichment we enjoy. My only criticism is that regions such as Yorkshire, Cornwall and indeed Northern Ireland miss out on conclusion. We should embrace all our cultural tenets, not pick and choose. Would it have done the Government any harm to pool choices from across the length and breadth of the United Kingdom, including that trip across the Irish Sea and the drive across the Pennines, or even down the M1?
It would not have done any harm. The list was drawn up after a consultation, a pity that some other suggestions were not made. The only exception to this was that before I brought the initial consultation before the House I did not suggest traditions which have political sensitivities such as those around 1688/1690 or 1916 in Northern Ireland, or 1605 in some towns and villages in England.

(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I back this, let's get those applications in.

To those folk wanting additions, we can always apply for them at any time in the future if we cannot agree now.
Yes, it is only intended to be a start. Taking Belgium as an example as this is where I first became aware of UNESCO's work in this field, the Carnival in Binche was first proclaimed in 2003, but another one on the list, the Procession of the Holy Blood in Bruges was added to the list in 2009, and Belgian beer culture in 2016.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sounds good to me!
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mr Speaker, i intend to oppose this statement in division.

Although i have no principled objection to any of the specifics, i consider this to be policy for the sake of policy and as somebody who believes in as little state intervention as is required i don't support this bureaucratic effort.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Mr Speaker, i intend to oppose this statement in division.

Although i have no principled objection to any of the specifics, i consider this to be policy for the sake of policy and as somebody who believes in as little state intervention as is required i don't support this bureaucratic effort.
How on earth is applying to UNESCO state intervention???
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
How on earth is applying to UNESCO state intervention???
I consider it needless. It is giving a bureaucrat work to do for the sake of it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise