Help Choose a University please!!! Watch

jwhite11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi All,
I am an international student planning to study Data Science/Analytics in the UK. So far, I have offer from St. Andrews (Data Intensive Analytics), Bath(Data Science), Exeter(Data Science), Glasgow(Data Analytics), Lancaster(Data Science) and City, University of London (Artificial Intelligence). I am leaning towards Bath as it has modules on Machine Learning or City as its Artificial Intelligence program altogether. Placements are a top priority for me. From what I know, City and Bath both have good tie-ups with industry, whereas City has an internship of 3 months.Please help me choose here. Are these 2 good, or should I (re)consider any other option.Any input would be helpful.Thanks in advance.
University of Bath Postgraduate
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by jwhite11)
Hi All,
I am an international student planning to study Data Science/Analytics in the UK. So far, I have offer from St. Andrews (Data Intensive Analytics), Bath(Data Science), Exeter(Data Science), Glasgow(Data Analytics), Lancaster(Data Science) and City, University of London (Artificial Intelligence). I am leaning towards Bath as it has modules on Machine Learning or City as its Artificial Intelligence program altogether. Placements are a top priority for me. From what I know, City and Bath both have good tie-ups with industry, whereas City has an internship of 3 months.Please help me choose here. Are these 2 good, or should I (re)consider any other option.Any input would be helpful.Thanks in advance.
Hi @jwhite11

Glad to hear you’re considering University of Bath for your Postgraduate studies!

Bath has excellent postgraduate courses for Data Science and are subsequently some of the most popular postgraduate courses the University offers. As you’ve highlighted, our industry links are very well established and the opportunity to do a placement year is very attractive to a lot of students. As well as this, each department has its own team (as well as a general University Careers Service) that is dedicated to supporting students in finding a suitable placement, preparing them for application process (CV checks, Mock Interviews, Mock Assessment Centres etc.) and giving any necessary support whilst you’re on your placement.
For more information please see: Science Placement Year Info

In your current two front-runners are Bath and City, then it is important to consider the differences between the cities themselves. Bath is a beautiful, scenic city in a lovely part of the country with a fantastic history, however it is quite small and relatively quiet compared to most other cities. Although there are certainly things to do in Bath, it offers nowhere near as many opportunities as say London or Glasgow would in your down time. That being said, Bath is only 10 miles (15 minute train ride) from Bristol, a much bigger and more fast-paced city that has a lot more going on, with significantly better nightlife also. Many students take advantage of this and regularly visit.

It is important to take this into consideration as you will be spending a whole year at wherever you decide to study!

I hope this has helped, and if you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to ask them!

Ollie
MSc Engineering Business Management
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (377)
67.32%
No (183)
32.68%

Watched Threads