The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

EPQ ideas on Crispr-Cas9 + starting late?

Recently I've dropped my fourth AS subject (computer science), which means I won't be getting an AS in May and in order to 'fill the void' and get an extra qualfication, I want to take up an EPQ. Apparently I can start now and hand it in in November, which I think is a good time frame (please tell me if this isn't true) or I could start in Y13, but I don't like the thought of that.

I definitely want to have a topic on biology/biochemistry, specifically in genetic engineering. I'm very interested in CRISPR-Cas9 but I'm struggling to find a specific title because there's so much to talk about. I was thinking along the lines of 'To what extent could CRIPSR-Cas9 'cure' genetic diseases?' or if it could use 'gene drive' to wipe out mosquitos with malaria, or potentially modify humans and kickstart a different form of evolution, but they all sound too broad (although all very interesting!). I would just like some advice on specific titles.

Also, I'm still slightly confused over how the EPQ is set out. Do I just find a title, research my argument for that title + log it appropriately, write up my findings and give a presentation? Or am I oversimplifying things? I don't know quite where to start.
Reply 1
Oh, and I have other ideas that aren't related to CRISPR, such as 'To what extent are genetics an unchangeable factor for our behaviour', 'could humans ever achieve biological immortality?' although I feel these are common ideas, and I know less about them.
I also like topics like bringing back extinct species, applications of organoids and neurodegenerative disease in relation to CRISPR-Cas9 as well... the list goes on and on, I can't choose a topic.
Reply 2
Original post by telkov
Oh, and I have other ideas that aren't related to CRISPR, such as 'To what extent are genetics an unchangeable factor for our behaviour', 'could humans ever achieve biological immortality?' although I feel these are common ideas, and I know less about them.
I also like topics like bringing back extinct species, applications of organoids and neurodegenerative disease in relation to CRISPR-Cas9 as well... the list goes on and on, I can't choose a topic.

So sorry for this being a year late and not very helpful, but I am currently experiencing the same struggle when it comes to choosing a specific title for an epq surrounding CRISPR-Cas9 and wondered what the title you went with was ?
Reply 3
Very sorry for this being a year later, but I was experiencing a similar struggle on what question to do specifically surrounding CRISPR-Cas9 and I was wondering what you chose in the end?

Latest