Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Recently I got my mock grades back.

Maths and further maths C/D

Chemistry D/E

Physics A

Currently I'm worried sick as year 12 has been the first year I've struggled so much because of my work ethic. I've gotten higher in end of term tests before for them but over Christmas I slacked off and my grades dropped exponentially. I'm super worried now because we have to drop subjects in June if we do poorly in our internal exams and plus the internal exams decide my predicted grades hence my uni too.

So far I've been doing notes for physics and chem. I've done mixed excecise from textbook for maths. I really would like some kind of advice and potentially help me make a plan for the next few months in order to get 4A* in internal exams in may. It may be unrealistic but I don't really struggle to understand the content, it's rather I haven't practiced a lot.

Especially those who were in a similar position to me, please leave a comment with how you tackled it yourself and preferably with similar subjects because the nature of studying for humanities is quite different.

Thank you
whizzer_wins
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I do Chemistry as well and I find that, even though we've moved to a new specification (the one that started in 2016), the old A Level and AS papers really help. I'm on the AQA exam board, which was split into 5 units, some of which (1, 2 and possibly 3, but double check that) correspond to AS content. I think OCR and Edexcel are similar if you're studying those. Maybe do one of these papers every week or so and do as many practice exam questions as possible, since you already get the content - this will really help! Try websites like https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/a-level-chemistry-revision/ and pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com for practice questions and papers. Discipline will also help so perhaps set a specific time per week to do a practice paper or a weekly goal of a certain amount of practice questions.
Unfortunately, I don't do Physics but at least some of the above should be applicable.
Hope this helps!
One autumn leaf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by whizzer_wins)
I do Chemistry as well and I find that, even though we've moved to a new specification (the one that started in 2016), the old A Level and AS papers really help. I'm on the AQA exam board, which was split into 5 units, some of which (1, 2 and possibly 3, but double check that) correspond to AS content. I think OCR and Edexcel are similar if you're studying those. Maybe do one of these papers every week or so and do as many practice exam questions as possible, since you already get the content - this will really help! Try websites like https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/a-level-chemistry-revision/ and pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com for practice questions and papers. Discipline will also help so perhaps set a specific time per week to do a practice paper or a weekly goal of a certain amount of practice questions.
Unfortunately, I don't do Physics but at least some of the above should be applicable.
Hope this helps!
This is great thanks. I'm doing OCR A chem. I think I really will need to focus on discipline because the concepts aren't too hard but rather without practice of application, I'm lost in exams so doing older part papers will give me more questions available .
whizzer_wins
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by One autumn leaf)
This is great thanks. I'm doing OCR A chem. I think I really will need to focus on discipline because the concepts aren't too hard but rather without practice of application, I'm lost in exams so doing older part papers will give me more questions available .
No worries! PMT (Physics and Maths Tutor) also do loads of "questions by topic" which will give you endless practice material. https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...e-2/#questions is a link to their bank of questions for OCR A Chem Module 2 (apologies if you haven't fully covered the content). They have questions for all the other modules too. A great piece of advice I got from my chemistry teacher is don't be shy about doing questions from other exam boards if you've run out of material from your own. The content between exam boards is quite similar (but it's also different so don't freak out if you have no idea how to answer a question) so it might help if you manage to work through all of PMT's OCR A resources.
Really glad you've taken the discipline aspect on board as I cannot stress enough how important it is.
Hope this all makes sense and good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (344)
60.25%
Yes- I don't like it (30)
5.25%