Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
does it determine how clever you are or something? what do they mean?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"Titles" you get after graduating from university. The B stands for Bachelor, the M stands for Master.

Bachelor's degrees are usually awarded after a 3-year course (4 years sometimes in Scotland), and Master's degrees are usually awarded after a 1-year course that you take after graduating from a Bachelor's. Sometimes the master's is integrated, so you do a 4 year course instead of a 3 year course and graduate straight away with a master's qualification.

So MSc (science), MLitt (letters), MRes (research), MA (arts), they're all master's-level qualifications that you can take after graduating with a Bachelor's degree.
MSci and MEng are the integrated master's courses. Some universities have more variations on this - e.g. MPhys, MChem, MComp, MMath you can probably guess what they're for. There's also the MASt (master of advanced study) which is used to refer to master's-level maths courses, such as Cambridge's part III maths course.

Important to note that "master" is a bit of an archaic term in this case; you're not necessarily a literal master at the topic.

There's also doctorate awards, such as the PhD, DPhil, DCL, EngD and some rare and/or usually only honorary ones such as D.Litt or DSc.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 year ago
username4933904
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
NO

It describes your degree e.g. BA = bachelor of arts
MA = master of arts
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by HumblyBumbly)
NO

It describes your degree e.g. BA = bachelor of arts
MA = master of arts
what do they mean?
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's already been explained but a BSc/BA is an undergraduate degree and an MSc/MA is postgraduate degree, you generally need an undergraduate degree before doing a postgrad
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As above they're degree titles. I would note that the distinction between BA/BSc and MA/MSc is nonexistent now, and you don't in any way indicate the content of the degree. You need to look at the actual course content to see that. A BSc does not imply the degree is necessarily more scientific and a BA does not imply it is less; all degrees awarded by Oxford and Cambridge are BA degrees, but their STEM courses still cover as much if not more STEM content than other STEM courses with "BSc" as the title, and LSE only offers non-STEM degrees (with the exception of joint honours courses in maths for a couple of them), however all but four of their degrees award the BSc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads