Accepting a PhD offer and rejecting it later ( Europe-US) Watch

wanderbooks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys, I am an international applicant for PhD overseas. I primarily focused in the US, and one university in Europe (ETH). To my astonishment, I got accepted at ETH. But since PhD is considered as an employment in Europe, I have to let them know within two weeks. But I won't get to know the decisions in US ( especially my top choice) by March or April. I know that an opportunity at ETH is a not a joke, and I am thankful but I would prefer the US for personal reasons, and also because the project in Europe is in a related field, not direct. Is it possible if I accept it now, and potentially reject it if the options in US are favorable? It is ****ty but it is my career. I know it is a personal decision, but I would like your valuable input for the same.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by wanderbooks)
Hi guys, I am an international applicant for PhD overseas. I primarily focused in the US, and one university in Europe (ETH). To my astonishment, I got accepted at ETH. But since PhD is considered as an employment in Europe, I have to let them know within two weeks. But I won't get to know the decisions in US ( especially my top choice) by March or April. I know that an opportunity at ETH is a not a joke, and I am thankful but I would prefer the US for personal reasons, and also because the project in Europe is in a related field, not direct. Is it possible if I accept it now, and potentially reject it if the options in US are favorable? It is ****ty but it is my career. I know it is a personal decision, but I would like your valuable input for the same.
Its pretty ****ty but people do do it. It is kind of burning the bridge with the supervisory team at ETH but if you feel the opportunity is worth it, this is a descion you need to make.

I think perhaps a frank & open conversation with your supervisor at ETH could help. When I applied for my PhD I was going through the recruitment process in other roles and I spoke to my supervisor about this, he was very supportive and said he understood that people have to do these things but he just asked me to be open and honest with him & agree a date of commitment from which I guaranteed I would do the PhD, in the end I decided I preferred this PhD over the potential jobs anyway so it became very easy for me but im still glad I had the conversation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (378)
67.14%
No (185)
32.86%

Watched Threads