crissy1234g54
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I have received offers at ucl (AA) and St Andrew's (AAA) as I already achieved an A* in maths. Is there a big difference in quality of teaching or reputation and how different is the Scottish degree system?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by crissy1234g54)
I have received offers at ucl (AA) and St Andrew's (AAA) as I already achieved an A* in maths. Is there a big difference in quality of teaching or reputation and how different is the Scottish degree system?
i'm in no way in a position to say whether you should pick UCL or St Andrews. But I can (and repeatedly do on TSR) vouch for the 4-year Scottish system which has made a small positive difference to my life looking back! It is basically a half-way house between the US-style liberal arts system and the English one where you only study your subject for all three years.

Year 1: Three subjects of your choosing each semester (you only need to pass)
Year 2: UP TO three subjects of your choosing (you need a 2:2 in your subject to carry it through)
Years 3 & 4: Only study your chosen degree subject, unless you do Joint Honours (your grades only count in these two years).

For me, getting to explore different subjects, having a more chilled first year to get everyone up to the same level, more summer holidays to look for internships, a student body where the the international students - even from Asia - are completely integrated socially (eg. in academic families and other traditions) etc. was invaluable.

Whether you should choose UCL or St Andrews would depend on a whole range of things that are most important to you eg. UCL has a stellar reputation (not that St A doesn't) and probably has easier access to the top employers and so you've got to decide if all of the negatives of being a student in London (especially extremely low academic student satisfaction scores every year) are worth it to you
crissy1234g54
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
i'm in no way in a position to say whether you should pick UCL or St Andrews. But I can (and repeatedly do on TSR) vouch for the 4-year Scottish system which has made a small positive difference to my life looking back! It is basically a half-way house between the US-style liberal arts system and the English one where you only study your subject for all three years.

Year 1: Three subjects of your choosing each semester (you only need to pass)
Year 2: UP TO three subjects of your choosing (you need a 2:2 in your subject to carry it through)
Years 3 & 4: Only study your chosen degree subject, unless you do Joint Honours (your grades only count in these two years).

For me, getting to explore different subjects, having a more chilled first year to get everyone up to the same level, more summer holidays to look for internships, a student body where the the international students - even from Asia - are completely integrated socially (eg. in academic families and other traditions) etc. was invaluable.

Whether you should choose UCL or St Andrews would depend on a whole range of things that are most important to you eg. UCL has a stellar reputation (not that St A doesn't) and probably has easier access to the top employers and so you've got to decide if all of the negatives of being a student in London (especially extremely low academic student satisfaction scores every year) are worth it to you
What kinds of internships were offered while you were there?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by crissy1234g54)
What kinds of internships were offered while you were there?
so universities are academic institutions not companies and therefore cannot offer you internships themselves. they can recommend things to apply for but as a biologist they were not of interest to me. generally you have to be pro-active in reaching out to companies yourself - there are graduate fairs where employers come to St Andrews to help you
crissy1234g54
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
so universities are academic institutions not companies and therefore cannot offer you internships themselves. they can recommend things to apply for but as a biologist they were not of interest to me. generally you have to be pro-active in reaching out to companies yourself - there are graduate fairs where employers come to St Andrews to help you
Okay thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (67)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.67%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.73%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.18%

Watched Threads