My IQ is bothering me. Watch

Mad Man
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
At 14 I had an IQ test and got a result of 84, which is almost a LD score. But I got 9 GCSEs with 5 As 2 A*'s and 2 B's. I didn't get any support for my GCSEs, I mainly studied independently. In the IQ test, I didn't pay attention and wasn't diagnosed with ADHD at the time.

At age 17, I was sectioned into a hospital and the doctor told me I shouldn't pursue medicine and to be "more realistic" as she "admires my passion" but I would find it difficult due to my IQ.

I'm still in hospital, but a in a different one, and I'm trying to get the psychologist to re-test me but she doesn't see any clinical benefits as she agrees that I don't have a learning disability. So I feel really anxious and upset because I feel like my intelligence isn't good enough to study medicine.

What should I do?
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
study medicine
Mad Man
Rep:
?
(Original post by steamed-hams)
study medicine
What about doing another IQ test?
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mad Man)
Just study medicine! Forget about the IQ test!
steamed-hams
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
what is your obsession with this iq test. iq doesn't mean chit
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Were these official IQ tests? If not, they're meaningless. If they were, whilst there is no IQ requirement for becoming a doctor, it is extremely unlikely that somebody with an IQ of 84 would be in a position to study medicine. But in any case, I'm a bit confused as to why this discussion is being framed around IQ as opposed to your academic performance - did your doctors actually mention your IQ?
PastelColours
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
IQ test are useless, when you apply to med school do they ask for your IQ? nOoooO so dw ignore your doctor and go for medicine x
endergirl123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
lmao iq means bs man, you could have a high IQ and be nothing in your life, its not a redeeming quality, btw your iq is perfectly fine, just work hard for your exams and slam it on your doctor lol.
Mad Man
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Were these official IQ tests? If not, they're meaningless. If they were, whilst there is no IQ requirement for becoming a doctor, it is extremely unlikely that somebody with an IQ of 84 would be in a position to study medicine. But in any case, I'm a bit confused as to why this discussion is being framed around IQ as opposed to your academic performance - did your doctors actually mention your IQ?
Yes the doctor did mention my IQ.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes the doctor did mention my IQ.
I feel like there's more to this story than what you're telling us because I find it slightly hard to believe that a doctor would be telling you not to study medicine on the sole basis of an IQ test you took when you were significantly younger. In any case, what will ultimately determine whether you can study medicine or not is your performance in the medical aptitude tests, your predicted (and achieved) A Level grades, and your interview performance. There's no way that any of us can know whether you're capable of doing well enough in those aspects to gain entry to a medicine course, that is something only you and your teachers can gauge. I would suggest that you stop obsessing about IQ (which, whilst not unrelated to your exam performance, is not something you should be overly concerned about) and start focusing on whether you're able to get the grades required to get into medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (484)
59.53%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.29%
No- I want it (232)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.64%

Watched Threads