The Student Room Group

Entry Prerequisites for LSHTM MSc Medical Statistics

I am an MBBS student in the University of Hong Kong planning to intercalate the MSc Medical Statistics programme in the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine after my first 2 years of study under the new condensed MBBS programme.

I would like to know how much statistical knowledge the programme requires students to possess prior to entry. I have some exposure to very basic statistical concepts and clinical study methods in my current undergraduate studies. I also have some background in foundational university physics and mathematics during my high school Physics Olympiad studies (including calculus and basic vector analysis). I would like to know if students of background similar to me would be considered for the programme.

I would also like to know if my limited prior knowledge would make it hard for me to complete the programme. What academic background do students of this programme often possess? Do students all have a mathematics/statistics/basic science undergraduate degree and are there any students intercalating this programme during their MBBS degree with little exposure to statistics?
Reply 1
Original post by data55
I am an MBBS student in the University of Hong Kong planning to intercalate the MSc Medical Statistics programme in the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine after my first 2 years of study under the new condensed MBBS programme.

I would like to know how much statistical knowledge the programme requires students to possess prior to entry. I have some exposure to very basic statistical concepts and clinical study methods in my current undergraduate studies. I also have some background in foundational university physics and mathematics during my high school Physics Olympiad studies (including calculus and basic vector analysis). I would like to know if students of background similar to me would be considered for the programme.

I would also like to know if my limited prior knowledge would make it hard for me to complete the programme. What academic background do students of this programme often possess? Do students all have a mathematics/statistics/basic science undergraduate degree and are there any students intercalating this programme during their MBBS degree with little exposure to statistics?

Have you contacted the programme directors about this? They are probably the best people to answer these questions. There is also a virtual open day in March which might be helpful. The course includes a compulsory module in the Foundation of Medical Statistics & Basic Epidemiology so I would assume any background information would be covered in the course.

As the course is open to medical students who wish to intercalate, I would assume there is very little expectation of background statistical knowledge.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Angury
Have you contacted the programme directors about this? They are probably the best people to answer these questions. There is also a virtual open day in March which might be helpful. The course includes a compulsory module in the Foundation of Medical Statistics & Basic Epidemiology so I would assume any background information would be covered in the course.

As the course is open to medical students who wish to intercalate, I would assume there is very little expectation of background statistical knowledge.

Thanks for your answer. I have contacted them and I’m waiting for their reply. I was kinda worried about it as none of my seniors have intercalated a stat intensive programme like this. Hope I can manage to do it haha
Reply 3
Why do you choose medical statistics and not MPH?

Did you get any advice from the medical school at HKU?

I'm interested as well but not yet in medical school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending