escg
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey guys,

First year medic here, and I'm currently trying to plan ahead and gain as much information as possible in regards to potentially moving to the US after med school here in the UK.

I have a rough timeline of when to do my USMLEs and USCE.

However, from what I gauge from my research, it would be wise of me to at-least complete my FY1 before heading out to the states.

Now my only concern is, say I apply to the match that is in my FY1/2 year, and suppose I receive interviews, how will I get time off to fly out for the interviews? Especially if the dates are far apart from each other?

I would honestly rather not leave it till after FY2, as that would mean I will have been out of medical school for a while, and my LORs would start becoming dated etc.

Obviously I know things will change, and there are a million variables in this question, but let's just say for the moment, I'm dead set on practising in the states, would it be worth taking a year out after FY1 to go through the whole application process?

I would appreciate any help regarding this,
Thank you!
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think first and foremost you should focus on passing your medical school exams so that you’ll actually be able to make an application to the match in the future. You haven’t even finished first year yet: yes it’s good to plan ahead but prioritise!
undetectable
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi just wondering if there’s anyone here that has studied in UK and qualified in US to give some advice?
Cheesychips1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I work with a current F1 who went through this process, this is very limited advice from what he said so I doubt I will be able to answer any follow up questions
But essentially he took all his annual leave/ zeros etc in early December and tried to book all his interviews for then, and has had to work a lot since then. Luckily the current team were both on was very accommodating of this (me and the other f1 moved zero days to help him out etc)
He had already done USMLE etc. and had quite a few publications
I think he will end up leaving before F1 is finished because of the dates he has to start working in the US, but still weighing it up, but clearly not finishing F1 is less than ideal because he will still be pre-reg with the GMC
Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (3)
14.29%
No one else does (9)
42.86%
I'm embarrassed about my background (1)
4.76%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (6)
28.57%
We don't use a video platform (1)
4.76%
I don't have a camera (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise