Intellectual property Watch

Law101help
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
“Accordion Artistes of Great Britain” are a group of 6 accordion players (3 men and 3 women) who perform musical parodies of well known songs and musical pieces. All members of the band wear evening dress, and sit in a line reading from music stands and entertain the audience with comic asides between tunes. The group have been active since 2010, and have a loyal following, though they mostly play to provincial venues. The group have a signature tune (written by George, the band leader, but jointly owned by the group) which they play at the beginning of concerts, entitled “You are accordioningly invited….”

The group have recently become aware of the existence of another band, called “United Kingdom Accordion Artists”, who play concerts at the same provincial venues. The members of this 2nd band also consist of 3 men and 3 women, also wear evening dress and also sit in a row behind music stands. However, their musical set consists of parodies of tunes not played by “Accordion Artistes of Great Britain”, but they do play a version of “You are accordioningly invited….” at the end of their show. Negative internet reviews of “United Kingdom Accordion Artists” show that members of the public believe them to be the same as, or related to “Accordion Artistes of Great Britain”.

Advise “Accordion Artistes of Great Britain” as to whether they can take copyright action against called “United Kingdom Accordion Artists” for their use of “You are accordioningly invited….”
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (477)
59.4%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.35%
No- I want it (230)
28.64%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.6%

Watched Threads