igauri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have received offers from Leeds arts uni, Sheffield Hallam Uni, uni of brighton, arts uni bournemouth, Winchester School of Art ( as for graphic/ communication design). I am very confused between these universities, can anyone here provide me some review or guidance?
Rennaofravenwood
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have a look at some league tables for your subject first of all, try googling the Guardian university league table and the complete university guide. Then think about what you hope to get out of your time at uni. Do you want a busy night life? Industry connections? Would you rather be in a city, or at a campus university? With all of these you should be able to start narrowing your choices down.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by igauri)
I have received offers from Leeds arts uni, Sheffield Hallam Uni, uni of brighton, arts uni bournemouth, Winchester School of Art ( as for graphic/ communication design). I am very confused between these universities, can anyone here provide me some review or guidance?
Have you had any opportunity to visit?

What are your priorities in a course and city?
igauri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My priorities here will be teaching quality, industrial connections/ employment opportunities. No, being an international student I couldn't visit any of the universities.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My priorities here will be teaching quality, industrial connections/ employment opportunities. No, being an international student I couldn't visit any of the universities.
If you're only interested in the stats then look up your courses on https://discoveruni.gov.uk/
That includes detailed NSS scores to give you an indication of the strengths/weaknesses of teaching and the detailed employment information to see the range of jobs graduates go into.

I would strongly suggest you think about the sort of city environment you prefer as well - Leeds and Sheffield are very large cities in the north, Bournemouth and Winchester are small cities/large towns in the south, Bournemouth and Brighton are on the coast etc etc. Think about where you would want to live for 3 years.
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi igauri,

It can be a confusing and overwhelming decision when you're choosing between several universities, especially as an international student, but there are lots of ways I can help you make this decision easier From looking at your priorities I can hopefully give you a bit of direction, whatever uni you choose you have to make sure it is right for you.

Firstly, if you're looking for teaching quality, it is worth pointing out that Sheffield Hallam was named University of the Year for Teaching Quality 2020 by The Sunday Times Good University Guide which you can find more about here. However, awards and league tables aren't always the best way to inform your decision as you want to make sure the city you are choosing meets your student and personal needs.

Sheffield is the 5th largest city in the UK with over 60,000 students, so it is very much geared towards student life with lots to do, see and get involved with. If you're attracted to a busy city lifestyle then Sheffield Hallam or Leeds Art Uni would be great for you, especially as these cities have great transport with other Northern cities and the rest of the UK and there's lots going on for creative inspiration. Whereas the locations of the other universities would be suited to a quieter lifestyle, but have their own benefits such as living by the sea/beaches in Brighton.

You can chat to our student Lydia who is currently studying Graphic Design - she can tell you more about the course, assessment criteria, industrial connections and employment opportunities. It's worth noting that all of our courses have placement opportunities which will enable you to enhance your CV and make connections with people in the industry before you graduate.

We also offer a lot of support for international students through our International Experience Team - student's find this video about the support we offer really insightful!

Let me know if you have any further questions and good luck with your decision!
- Ella
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (227)
61.02%
No (77)
20.7%
Not sure (68)
18.28%

Watched Threads