lydypie97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all,

I've applied to Oxford Brookes Primary PGCE. One of the teaching tasks is to do an unprepared teaching task which you have 15mins to prepare for. They provide the material. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach this task as it's hard to be prepared for something that is unknown?

Many thanks
mafali
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lydypie97)
Hi all,

I've applied to Oxford Brookes Primary PGCE. One of the teaching tasks is to do an unprepared teaching task which you have 15mins to prepare for. They provide the material. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach this task as it's hard to be prepared for something that is unknown?

Many thanks
Hi,

I have also applied to oxford brookes primary PGCE.Can you please share as what you are asked to do as part of the interview i.e,any witten task,teaching etc.
FormerTeacher
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I am fairly sure that TSR don't allow the sharing of questions asked in interview, as it gives unfair advantage. Best of luck for interview!
mafali
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by FormerTeacher)
Hi! I am fairly sure that TSR don't allow the sharing of questions asked in interview, as it gives unfair advantage. Best of luck for interview!
Please read my post carefully and then reply.Thanks
Get into Teaching
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi all,

Many thanks
Hello!

Start by asking what you want to end up with by the end of your 15 mins. Once you know that, think of an activity that you'd like to do with the children, that will inform them, help them make progress in their learning, and most importantly engage them.

Consider what the children may have learnt in the past, and potentially where you'd like to go. Also consider any children who may have additional learning needs, and how you could scaffold their learning progress. Make sure you make your learning intentions clear at the beginning, ('Children we are going to learn how to tie our shoes') and check that the learning objective has been achieved. ('Children, what do you know now that you didn't know 15 mins ago')

Keep whatever you choose to teach as simple as you can. You don't need to show off all of your subject knowledge here, but you are showing your thinking in terms of planning, creativity and engagement.

If you haven't got one, please get yourself a Teacher Training Adviser - Call 0800 389 2500 asap! They will help you in regards to preparation for this and any other interviews you have.

Wishing you all the very best for your interviews!

Jane
FormerTeacher
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mafali)
Please read my post carefully and then reply.Thanks
Yes, I did. You asked readers to share information 'any written task...' this could give an unfair advantage.
Last edited by FormerTeacher; 2 weeks ago
Get into Teaching
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi all,

Many thanks
Just to add to my colleagues advice. They will be looking at how well you can adapt to a situation, as teaching is all about adaptation and how you can think on the spot a lot of the time, as you may prepare an outstanding lesson, then the IT equipment you needed doesn't work, so you need to think on your feet, or something like that. So my advice is to keep it simple and engaging for the kids. Have a clear focus of what you want to achieve and come up with ideas that will get the students engaged straight away. A really good starter can make the entire lesson.
Do not overthink it, they will not expect an outstanding lesson/task in 15 minutes. They will just be looking at how you handle a scenario with 15 minutes preparation. So stay calm and use the first couple of minutes just thinking of ideas. Don't feel like you have to plan straight away.

Hope this helps and good luck. You've got this. Anymore advice needed don't hesitate to get in contact with us training advisors.

All the best

Dan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (491)
59.52%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.21%
No- I want it (235)
28.48%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.79%

Watched Threads

Latest