The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What can I do to make sure that I have a good social life at LSE?

So I just got an offer from LSE for Economic History which is the course that I believe I would find most interest in. However, I'm debating going to UCL to study History, Politics, and Economics because I feel as though the social life would be a lot better.

So is there any way that I could make sure that I'd have a fun social life at LSE? At the moment I don't go out clubbing much but I'd like to when I go to London. But it's not even that really, its mostly just that I'm quite outgoing and eager to make friends but I'm scared that most LSE students aren't the same. And also the fact that I have a geordie accent and come from a lower middle class background scares me a little because I don't know how I'd manage to find the right crowd. I don't have anything against poshies or international students but I'm weary of the fact that they might have something against me. The workload doesn't bother me because it is the same as what I did at A level for the most part so I'm sure I'd be able to manage my time. 2-3 hours a day of work is easy for me and 7+ come exam season is fine as well. (this is not me saying that LSE is as easy as A levels, I just did a lot of hours during A levels of poor quality revision because I assumed more hours=better studying without considering the effectiveness of what I was doing for revision)

Based on this, what would be the best accommodation for someone who is not looking to spend more that £8000 a year on it? It would be nice to have an en suite or my own shower but I'm not too fussed really. A comfortable bed is all I need

It might be worth noting that I'm looking at investment banking and consulting as career paths so maybe I'd actually fit in with the classic LSE Jordan Belfort wannabe lol

Any other tips would be really useful. Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ErvinBoyes
So I just got an offer from LSE for Economic History which is the course that I believe I would find most interest in. However, I'm debating going to UCL to study History, Politics, and Economics because I feel as though the social life would be a lot better.

So is there any way that I could make sure that I'd have a fun social life at LSE? At the moment I don't go out clubbing much but I'd like to when I go to London. But it's not even that really, its mostly just that I'm quite outgoing and eager to make friends but I'm scared that most LSE students aren't the same. And also the fact that I have a geordie accent and come from a lower middle class background scares me a little because I don't know how I'd manage to find the right crowd. I don't have anything against poshies or international students but I'm weary of the fact that they might have something against me. The workload doesn't bother me because it is the same as what I did at A level for the most part so I'm sure I'd be able to manage my time. 2-3 hours a day of work is easy for me and 7+ come exam season is fine as well. (this is not me saying that LSE is as easy as A levels, I just did a lot of hours during A levels of poor quality revision because I assumed more hours=better studying without considering the effectiveness of what I was doing for revision)

Based on this, what would be the best accommodation for someone who is not looking to spend more that £8000 a year on it? It would be nice to have an en suite or my own shower but I'm not too fussed really. A comfortable bed is all I need

It might be worth noting that I'm looking at investment banking and consulting as career paths so maybe I'd actually fit in with the classic LSE Jordan Belfort wannabe lol

Rosebery is a relatively cheap hall that had a decent proportion of northern/down to earth ppl when I was in first year (last year.)

The main social night is on a Wednesday, everyone goes clubbing at Zoo, a really cheesy club/bar on Leicester Square that is kinda known for being “so bad that it’s good.”

If clubbing’s not your thing; just join societies that interest you and that you like, most societies have great social events and pub crawls etc.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I have the same issue. From the US and doing a year in the General Course. I’d like to make friends and not be too far away. Thoughts about good accommodations for general course students?
swear most people make these threads to show off their offers

get to uni and then figure out, it ain't that hard bud
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
swear most people make these threads to show off their offers

get to uni and then figure out, it ain't that hard bud

Sorry that I hurt your feelings I'll make sure that it won't happen again! :smile:

Have you had your offer yet from UCL for History, politics and economics?
Reply 6
Have you had your offer yet from UCL for History, politics and economics?

Yeah I have my offer for that already. Why do you ask?
Yeah I have my offer for that already. Why do you ask?

Still waiting...
Reply 8
Still waiting...

When did you send your application out because I sent mine out in early November
you mean UCAS? I did it early too.
Reply 10
you mean UCAS? I did it early too.

ah right well im not sure then. it might not mean anything though because I also applied for UCL History and they took ages to reply for that course so I wouldnt be discouraged by it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending