The Student Room Group

no motivation at university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scotney
What uni what course?

Computer science
Original post by Anonymous
At the end of the day your main priority at uni is to study and complete a degree. Yes, having a social life is important but it shouldn’t necessarily be your focus. Maybe go to the library with your friends to complete your assessments together so you’re still getting work done but can also be in an environment with other students and not be on your own quite so much.

I understand your point. However, in my case I can quite literally just go online and learn what I need to, like computer science is easy to study outside of uni so like social life is kinda more important when you can literally just learn what you need online.
Where are you thinking of changing to?
Original post by Scotney
Where are you thinking of changing to?

Computer Science but somewhere else
I have no motivation for university ATM. I really can't be bothered to study and I'm not enjoying it socially. I'm finding it hard to meet people and don't have anything to do for most of the week. All my friends are on my course but we barely go out and we're overflowed with work which I can't be bothered to do or even have an interest in. I know I'm doing the right course but I really don't feel motivated. I'm struggling here massively and feel like I'm wasting my time.

I don't feel like education is a priority right now and think a break could help me massively. I have a good tutoring job and have already applied through UCAS.

My mind keeps changing on whether to leave or stay but I'm really not enjoying university or have any motivation for it.

I'm a first year student.

It’s quite easy to find motivation. Go onto Facebook and find the least successful person you know. Ask yourself do I really want to be that person. That answer will be no. Therefore if you don’t want to be unsuccessful I suggest that you get on with it. One or two years of difficulty in a degree is nothing compared to the embarrassment of dropping out of your degree and not fulfilling your potential
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
It’s quite easy to find motivation. Go onto Facebook and find the least successful person you know. Ask yourself do I really want to be that person. That answer will be no. Therefore if you don’t want to be unsuccessful I suggest that you get on with it. One or two years of difficulty in a degree is nothing compared to the embarrassment of dropping out of your degree and not fulfilling your potential

It's not unfulfilling potential. It's that I may need a gap year to find motivation and to stop myself from burning out.
It's completely up to you if you want to drop out then that is always an option, you can only make the decision. You won't be a disappointment and it may be better if you go to a different uni. However, don't forget summer is coming very soon, I'm guessing you will go home for that and perhaps see old friends. It may be worth sticking it out until then and then having a good think about if you want to go back.. I have seen a lot of times that people only make proper friends in 2nd or 3rd year once all the excitement of being at uni dies down and people start making proper connections..
It's not unfulfilling potential. It's that I may need a gap year to find motivation and to stop myself from burning out.

Tbh I was sick of studying after A levels and took 2 gap year.s. I spent them working in many different jobs a bank, shipping office and trainee buyer at Selfridges. By the end of those two years I was running to Uni! Found the jobs mind blowingly boring but at least I then knew what I wanted to do so had my motivation back. Plus money in the bank. But if you are changing unis go visit and really get a feel for the place so you do not make the same mistake again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending