The Student Room Group

help meeeee:(

what is the difference between [CuCl4]2- and CuCl4 2- ? the thing is Cu and Cl in these two compounds have the same oxidation numbers according to the answer...but what is the meaning of that bracket, it seems tedious...
Hiii there! The bracket means the substance is a coordination complex formed by Cu2+ centre surrounded by 4 Cl- as ligands. Normally you don't use brackets for compounds but you need to put one for complexes. Hope this helps!
Oh,I GOT IT, so not every compound can add a bracket ,right?as they may not have transition metals...
Original post by Wuxinyu
Oh,I GOT IT, so not every compound can add a bracket ,right?as they may not have transition metals...

No, you include brackets if the compound is a coordination complex, not just because it has a transition metal ion in it

For example, CuCl2 comprises of a copper ion, but it doesn't have brackets because it's not a complex

There are many other examples of compounds containing transition metals that aren't complexes
Original post by Kian Stevens
No, you include brackets if the compound is a coordination complex, not just because it has a transition metal ion in it

For example, CuCl2 comprises of a copper ion, but it doesn't have brackets because it's not a complex

There are many other examples of compounds containing transition metals that aren't complexes

it that means cucl2 can be either a complex or just a simple compound and that depends on the situation?
Original post by Wuxinyu
it that means cucl2 can be either a complex or just a simple compound and that depends on the situation?

No, copper(II) chloride is an ionic compound, not a complex; the brackets tell you this

It may form complexes via reactions with HCl, but by itself it’s not a complex
Original post by Kian Stevens
No, copper(II) chloride is an ionic compound, not a complex; the brackets tell you this

It may form complexes via reactions with HCl, but by itself it’s not a complex

ok,thanks a lot...by the way , do you know anywhere I can get IAL chemistry textbook2 or its answer for free? or any where I can buy it?

Quick Reply

Latest