The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Ugaa lse 2020

Have you guys received your invite for the UGAA yet? I got mine on 3rd February. I have applied for Geography with Economics so I'll have to give the D section of Maths. How are you guys preparing for it?
Reply 1
What sort of preparation are the UGAA invites taking for the examination ? It would be helpful to know what approach everyone is taking?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Hi, i also received an invite. I've been attempting past papers.
They want see your general knowledge. You do not really need a preparation. The truth is that you either have the knowledge they are looking for or you do not. In fact, they send you a message about UGAA only one month in advance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Bmi_the_unknown
They want see your general knowledge. You do not really need a preparation. The truth is that you either have the knowledge they are looking for or you do not. In fact, they send you a message about UGAA only one month in advance.

Hmm.. the LSE website they state "It is not an assessment of general knowledge."

I feel like keeping up with current affairs can help you somewhat when it comes to the test. The test is basically to check generic skills in maths, English/writing. I think you could maybe polish those skills up for a better score.
Reply 5
Original post by jnic11
Hi, i also received an invite. I've been attempting past papers.

Aye congrats! What course have you applied for? Also there is a group for UGAA on Instagram (it doesn't have many people yet tho) if you also want to join let me know, my Instagram handle is @satyansh_y just send me a text and I'll add you. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Satty_y
Aye congrats! What course have you applied for? Also there is a group for UGAA on Instagram (it doesn't have many people yet tho) if you also want to join let me know, my Instagram handle is @satyansh_y just send me a text and I'll add you. :smile:

Thank you! Congrats to you too. I have applied for sociology. Aw, thats great il message you on there.
Reply 7
You need to understand the test.

You need to understand the way to pass the test.

You need to know what test you are taking.

You are going to need to be able to succinctly summarise information.

You are going to need to be able to write a very basic essay, or, a critical piece on one of the topics.

You are going to need to be able to pass a GCSE Maths examination, or, an A-Level Maths examination. Everything you need to know can be gleaned from past papers. Review them, see how they are examined, this will guide your revision.
Hey I’m finding the section A part so hard, the part about the précis. Can anybody that has written it send some of their practice works or advice.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Hey I’m finding the section A part so hard, the part about the précis. Can anybody that has written it send some of their practice works or advice.

Here is an article followed by the mediocre precis I wrote:
Article:
Yemen war: Saudi-led coalition warplane crashes
A warplane belonging to the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen has crashed in the northern province of al-Jawf.
A coalition spokesman confirmed that a Saudi Tornado fighter jet had "fallen" while carrying out a support mission near Yemeni army units, according to Saudi Arabia's state news agency SPA.
Yemen's Houthi rebels said they shot down the plane on Friday night.
The United Nations said 31 civilians were killed in Saudi air strikes in al-Jawf on Saturday.
A statement from the office of the UN's resident coordinator for Yemen said "preliminary field reports" indicated that at least 12 others were injured in the strikes.
The Saudi-led coalition has been battling Yemen's rebel Houthi movement since 2015. It intervened after the Houthis ousted the internationally-recognised government from power in the capital Sanaa.
The Houthi rebels said they used ground-to-air missiles to down the warplane on Friday night.
Saudi Arabia has not provided details of any casualties from the crash, or what caused it.
It said it carried out a search and rescue operation on Saturday and that some civilians may have been unintentionally killed.
Houthi officials said children were among the casualties of retaliatory air strikes by Saudi Arabia, which they said targeted civilians in the area where rebel forces had downed the plane.
They said some of those injured were in a critical condition.
In a statement on Saturday, Lise Grande, the UN's resident humanitarian coordinator in Yemen, shared "deep condolences with the families of those killed".
"So many people are being killed in Yemen - it's a tragedy and it's unjustified. Under international humanitarian law parties which resort to force are obligated to protect civilians. Five years into this conflict and belligerents are still failing to uphold this responsibility. It's shocking," she said.
What's the background?
Yemen has been at war since 2015, when President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi and his cabinet were forced to flee the capital Sanaa by the Houthis.
Saudi Arabia backs Mr Hadi, and has led a coalition of regional countries in air strikes against the rebels.
The coalition carries out air strikes almost every day, while the Houthis often fire missiles into Saudi Arabia.
The civil war has triggered the world's worst humanitarian disaster, with an estimated 80% of the population - more than 24 million people - requiring humanitarian assistance or protection.
Tens of thousands of people have died as a result of the conflict.
precis:
A Saudi warplane has crashed in Al-Jawf, Yemen on Friday.
The Houthi rebels claim they have intercepted the jet, but, for the moment, the Saudis have not yet admitted it was intentionally taken down.
However, on Saturday the Saudi aviation has conducted attacks in Al-Jawf, which could be perceived as retaliation strikes.
The UN's humanitarian coordinator in Yemen, Lise Grande, has deplored the loss of human lives following this operation, described by the Saudis as a mere search and rescue mission. Grande has equally condemned the perpetuation of the civil war in Yemen which began in 2015 after the ousting of Sanaa government.
The Saudi-led coalition, which backs the exiled administration, is conducting recurrent air strikes against the Houthis who, in their turn, target Saudi-Arabia with missiles. This conflict has resulted in the most serious humanitarian crisis of our time.
Reply 10
Hello,
The information about the subjects that may be included in section C is scarce. Having Looked at different papers from past years, I find that the section's level differs. In 2014 it was quite easy, but in 2017 it seems to be much more complicated and above GSCE level.
I wonder if someone could list the subjects that one musts master in order to nail section C.
Thank you.
Reply 11

The key to a good precis is not to regurgitate the information, rather, to summarise it. You want to practice re-writing something without using the words in the article.
Reply 12
Did anyone hear back from LSE?
Not yet. Which test did you take?

There is another thread where they discuss about UGAA
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2781359&p=87546830&page=9#post87546830
(edited 4 years ago)
Test 2
Test 2

Did you manage to finish section C?

Quick Reply

Latest