Lukeh1234h
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I am in my second year of university studying criminology, i have currently sat the first semester (3 modules) i managed to pass 1 assignment 1 presentation within 2 of those modules and fail the other part of 2 modules and fail 1 exam. I have the resits available but i’m not kidding you when i’ve tried my absolute best, does anybody have any tips of coping mechanisms for the stress and pressure? Im feeling a major set back at the moment and i genuinely cant see any hope even from my resits even though im going to try harder but i dont know how that’s possible maybe university isn’t for me? Maybe i cant do it :/ the resits combine with another upcoming 3 modules i am sitting so there is going to be tonnes of pressure on my back for the final semester.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lukeh1234h)
Hello,

I am in my second year of university studying criminology, i have currently sat the first semester (3 modules) i managed to pass 1 assignment 1 presentation within 2 of those modules and fail the other part of 2 modules and fail 1 exam. I have the resits available but i’m not kidding you when i’ve tried my absolute best, does anybody have any tips of coping mechanisms for the stress and pressure? Im feeling a major set back at the moment and i genuinely cant see any hope even from my resits even though im going to try harder but i dont know how that’s possible maybe university isn’t for me? Maybe i cant do it :/ the resits combine with another upcoming 3 modules i am sitting so there is going to be tonnes of pressure on my back for the final semester.
Have you received feedback for the assessments you failed? If you genuinely tried your best, then it's imperative that you identify how and why you went wrong in your performance and/or preparation. Go to your lecturers' office hours to discuss them, and also study skills (for academic advice) and student support (for emotional advice).
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lukeh1234h)
Hello,

The resits will likely be in the summer rather then next semester, so should give you a little more breathing room.

The key is to not get overwhelmed, breathing techniques, motivational speeches do whatever to get your head right. Once there make a plan!
-With coursework as soon as you get the brief create a loose timetable on how to complete it, and create a series of mini-objects you need to complete, dont be bashful either, if your have a question about the work go speak to the professor.
-exams: I always had a process:
1) absorb information, meticulously comb through slides and re-watch lectures using wrote learning. (I would do this once but take time and do it in detail.
2) Familiar myself with the exam style questions and test myself
3) Practice mock continuously
(I normally started exam revision 3 weeks out from 1st exam but this is up to you).
Lukeh1234h
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Have you received feedback for the assessments you failed? If you genuinely tried your best, then it's imperative that you identify how and why you went wrong in your performance and/or preparation. Go to your lecturers' office hours to discuss them, and also study skills (for academic advice) and student support (for emotional advice).
Thank you for the reply, I am going to arrange a feedback session with my lecturers/tutors.

(Original post by mnot)
The resits will likely be in the summer rather then next semester, so should give you a little more breathing room.

The key is to not get overwhelmed, breathing techniques, motivational speeches do whatever to get your head right. Once there make a plan!
-With coursework as soon as you get the brief create a loose timetable on how to complete it, and create a series of mini-objects you need to complete, dont be bashful either, if your have a question about the work go speak to the professor.
-exams: I always had a process:
1) absorb information, meticulously comb through slides and re-watch lectures using wrote learning. (I would do this once but take time and do it in detail.
2) Familiar myself with the exam style questions and test myself
3) Practice mock continuously
(I normally started exam revision 3 weeks out from 1st exam but this is up to you).
Thank you for the coping mechanisms and the tips. I’ll be sure to use them in upcoming assignments/exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (276)
33.99%
No (536)
66.01%

Watched Threads