Should I work seasonal when going off to uni? Watch

nat_krasz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
hey,
I have this debate going for a long time, I am currently working weekends on a seasonal contract in a supermarket. My section leader is aware of me moving out for uni and they suggested for me to stay on seasonal contract and work when I'm back home. It sounds like a good opportunity however current uni students told me that I might have no time to work weekends and when I'll come home for let's say xmas, I would probably want a proper holiday and time with family. I did not apply for student finance yet and I'm going off for my first applicants day this saturday, but I'm wondering what's there to consider. Will I be too tired to work over holidays? Should I ask for a transfer and work weekends like usually? Should I quit completely a live off student loans only + my savings? Please tell me your opinions on this so I consider everything before deciding
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nat_krasz)
hey,
I have this debate going for a long time, I am currently working weekends on a seasonal contract in a supermarket. My section leader is aware of me moving out for uni and they suggested for me to stay on seasonal contract and work when I'm back home. It sounds like a good opportunity however current uni students told me that I might have no time to work weekends and when I'll come home for let's say xmas, I would probably want a proper holiday and time with family. I did not apply for student finance yet and I'm going off for my first applicants day this saturday, but I'm wondering what's there to consider. Will I be too tired to work over holidays? Should I ask for a transfer and work weekends like usually? Should I quit completely a live off student loans only + my savings? Please tell me your opinions on this so I consider everything before deciding
I would say i know plenty of students who worked full-time over the holidays at uni. Some who who M-F,9-5 over the holidays... whatever you want to really.

Christmas & Easter you'll get a full 3 weeks and the summer is June till end of September...
The summer is so long you can easily have 2-3 weeks holiday as well as a job.

The difficulty with this is I would recommend filling your summers with internships (most of which are paid, roughly £8/hr is fairly normal) to help build your resume for when you leave uni (these are harder to get in first year, so maybe more a decision for 2nd year summer...).

As to how much work you need + SFE loans etc. that is a personal decision you need to whey up the debt vs living standards vs social time etc. and make your own choice as to how to fund your studies and living costs.
nat_krasz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
I would say i know plenty of students who worked full-time over the holidays at uni. Some who who M-F,9-5 over the holidays... whatever you want to really.

Christmas & Easter you'll get a full 3 weeks and the summer is June till end of September...

The difficulty with this is I would recommend filling your summers with internships (most of which are paid, roughly £8/hr is fairly normal) to help build your resume for when you leave uni (these are harder to get in first year, so maybe more a decision for 2nd year summer...).

As to how much work you need + SFE loans etc. that is a personal decision you need to whey up the debt vs living standards vs social time etc. and make your own choice as to how to fund your studies and living costs.
(Original post by mnot)

Thank you so much that actually helps out ❤️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (339)
60.43%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.17%