Pani Petero
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I'm currently thinking of applying to PhD programs in the US but wondering what my chances of admission might be.

Profile:

Expected Low 2.1(let's put it at 61%)
Research Experience(One summer, no publications)
Other Skills(Written a few (computer) programs

Target Fields
- Systems Bio
-Bioinformatics
-Cancer Biology
- Neuro

**IMPORTANT**
I'm looking to get into a funded PhD program.
Do I have any chances of getting in? Any other advice?
Last edited by Pani Petero; 1 week ago
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Funding for a USA college as an international student (assuming you are) is going to be tough and highly competitive
FUSTUK20
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Since you haven't achieved a first-class or a strong upper second-class, you'll need to work on publications to have a strong academic background s.
Pani Petero
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Funding for a USA college as an international student (assuming you are) is going to be tough and highly competitive
Should I just give up then? It's already expensive paying application fees and the like. I'm thinking of giving up on science altogether because my chances seem smaller everyday.

(Original post by FUSTUK20)
Since you haven't achieved a first-class or a strong upper second-class, you'll need to work on publications to have a strong academic background s.
I wish I could but I don't have much time left(only a year) and don't have that much access to research opportunities(it's complicated).
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pani Petero)
Should I just give up then? It's already expensive paying application fees and the like. I'm thinking of giving up on science altogether because my chances seem smaller everyday.

I wish I could but I don't have much time left(only a year) and don't have that much access to research opportunities(it's complicated).
Do you have to do the GRE or anything similar? If you can stand out in some other respects you might have a chance.

How much is the application?
Pani Petero
Rep:
?
Do you have to do the GRE or anything similar? If you can stand out in some other respects you might have a chance.

How much is the application?
I'm planning to only apply to four schools that have GRExited. The application fees can go to up to 100USD per school but there are other things that might be needed e.g evaluation of credentials, transcript verification.

I'm looking at around 1500USD just for the applications which is quite expensive since I need to fund everything myself(I don't work and also do have other responsibilities that need finances)

The only thing that could make me stand out for a Bioinformatics programme might be programming experience but I assume many others have that with even more impressive stats. Is this the end for me?
Last edited by Pani Petero; 1 week ago
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm planning to only apply to four schools that have GRExited. The application fees can go to up to 100USD per school but there are other things that might be needed e.g evaluation of credentials, transcript verification.

I'm looking at around 1500USD just for the applications which is quite expensive since I need to fund everything myself(I don't work and also do have other responsibilities that need finances)

The only thing that could make me stand out for a Bioinformatics programme might be programming experience but I assume many others have that with even more impressive stats. Is this the end for me?
I mean if it were me, that's a lot of money. What about a PhD in UK with a study abroad option? Not sure if that's a thing. Or just go postdoc to USA.
Pani Petero
Rep:
?
I mean if it were me, that's a lot of money. What about a PhD in UK with a study abroad option? Not sure if that's a thing. Or just go postdoc to USA.
I forgot to mention that I'm not in the UK(applying to unis in the UK would even be more expensive since there's limited funding).

I've thought of "just" taking a job as a data scientist(DS) but I don't even know if I'm qualified for that since my degree would be in something bio related.

I also don't have strong Maths/Stats. The DS role is also very underdeveloped in my country(somewhere in the Southern hemisphere) so that makes it worse.

I'd maybe try to start my own business but I still don't have the money for that and feel my four years in uni would have gone to waste
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I forgot to mention that I'm not in the UK(applying to unis in the UK would even be more expensive since there's limited funding).

I've thought of "just" taking a job as a data scientist(DS) but I don't even know if I'm qualified for that since my degree would be in something bio related.

I also don't have strong Maths/Stats. The DS role is also very underdeveloped in my country(somewhere in the Southern hemisphere) so that makes it worse.

I'd maybe try to start my own business but I still don't have the money for that and feel my four years in uni would have gone to waste
Out of interest where are you located and why not apply there?
Pani Petero
Rep:
?
Out of interest where are you located and why not apply there?
Honestly, revealing that would make it easier to know who I am and I prefer to remain anonymous so as to find help(I've been worried about this for so long).

I don't want to apply here because I need a Masters to apply for a PhD here which is more time for someone already relatively old.

Second, I don't like how research is conducted in most labs here(you're less of a scientist but more of a lab rat i.e you don't get to create your own ideas).

Importantly, life here is also very boring(I know I'll spend most time in the lab as a PhD student) but I think it's worth exploring some other place.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I'm currently thinking of applying to PhD programs in the US but wondering what my chances of admission might be.

Profile:

Expected Low 2.1(let's put it at 61%)
Research Experience(One summer, no publications)
Other Skills(Written a few (computer) programs

Target Fields
- Systems Bio
-Bioinformatics
-Cancer Biology
- Neuro

**IMPORTANT**
I'm looking to get into a funded PhD program.
Do I have any chances of getting in? Any other advice?
Very hard to say...

Depends on your specific research objectives & motivations, can you map your CV/application tightly to this.

If your are sending off general PhD applications I think you'll struggle with the low grades and minimal experience but you still have a chance. I think your graduate admissions test and performance at interviews will no doubt be the more important factors tho.
Pani Petero
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Very hard to say...

Depends on your specific research objectives & motivations, can you map your CV/application tightly to this.

If your are sending off general PhD applications I think you'll struggle with the low grades and minimal experience but you still have a chance. I think your graduate admissions test and performance at interviews will no doubt be the more important factors tho.
Thanks. I'm not taking any tests because I'm looking at only unis that don't require/accept the GRE and some new programs. I don't know if they conduct interviews(I plan to apply this Fall so not sure). Currently thinking about my next move. I do have one last summer to try and get more experience but this has a lot of uncertainty.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks. I'm not taking any tests because I'm looking at only unis that don't require/accept the GRE and some new programs. I don't know if they conduct interviews(I plan to apply this Fall so not sure). Currently thinking about my next move. I do have one last summer to try and get more experience but this has a lot of uncertainty.
Im fairly sure theyll interview. It would be reckless to fund someone without an interview...

Your talking like £15,000 ish in stipend/year, £10K in fees/year wiped, all lab equipment and testing + technicians, general equipment such as office/desk/PC etc, travel to conferences, and massive time cost on supervisors over 3,4,5 years... in total it could be a 6figure bill the uni will pay for a PhD. Im sure they'll interview (yes I know its dollars, i just dont know the rough US PhD estimates).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (377)
67.2%
No (184)
32.8%

Watched Threads