Calculate longitudinal & transverse stresses in two phases from the measured strains?

Watch
jrt94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but, Im pretty sure m being thick here but im hoping for a bit of help.
I've been given a question:
"A sample measuring 70mm x 1mm x 1mm made from the composite (titanium 50% and silicone carbide 50%) is loaded to an applied stress of around 300MPa along the longitudinal direction (the dimension measuring 70mm). The strains are measured:
a) in the titanium matrix: longitudinal; Transverse
b) in the SiC matrix: longitudinal; Transverse
Calculate the longitudinal and transverse stresses in the two phases from the measured strains (assume that the longitudinal and transverse strains are the principle strain components, and that the two transverse components are equal, i.e. ). Take the values of Young's modulus and the Poisson's ratio to be 118GPa and 0.3 for the titanium and 380GPa and 0.18 for the SiC."

Am i stupid saying the longitudinal stress is as stated 300MPa, and the transverse stress is calculated by working out the strain in the transverse direction ( ε(transversal)=-vε(longitudinal) ) and then using ( σ=Eε(transversal) ) to find the stress?

Thanks in advanced! :-D
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.9%
I'm not sure (16)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.41%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.81%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.28%

Watched Threads