karelina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A few dozen cases in uk is to be expected. If anything I am surprised it hasn't been more by now.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
The media are saying it's a GP who is reporting infection, from County Oak Medical Centre. A student from Portslade Aldridge Community Academy in Brighton has been asked to remain at home for 2 weeks as they were also in contact.
That is seriously concerning especially at what appears to be a busy surgery based on patient lists and GP numbers.
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
That, I understand and I agree with.
The "stats" in OP's post, not so much. "20% of cases being critical" that provides no useful information on how to either avoid or manage it. It's just fuelling the fear over it.
There are too many people I know comparing it to the common flu with a “I’m young and healthy, I’m not going to die so I don’t care” attitude. It needs to be clarified that although death rates are low (2-3% of cases *so far* is still high compared to the flu), it proves serious for many. Understanding the severity of a potential outbreak is important in encouraging more action to be taken. It can live up to 9 days on surfaces, which shows simply avoiding direct contact isn’t enough, even international delivery could be risky.

If too many people get it at the same time there isn’t going to be enough supplies available. It’s a shame the economy seems to be valued over people’s health at the moment, more travel restrictions should be put in place. That’s the way to avoid and manage it, but it hasn’t seem to have been done soon enough and to a high enough extent.

Better safe than sorry, is the way I’m looking at it. If people don’t think there’s a chance it could affect them, they are less likely to care.
school is crap
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't want to leave the house. I'm currently a university student but I don't want to go. I want to stay indoors as much as possible.
Em.-.
Rep:
?
(Original post by school is crap)
I don't want to leave the house. I'm currently a university student but I don't want to go. I want to stay indoors as much as possible.
Your username. 😂
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So far there is no reason to stay at home if you are in the UK. The main thing at present is to wash hands regularly and to use tissues if sneezing.
Em.-.
Rep:
?
Don’t worry, I wouldn’t say we have an outbreak just yet. Only people who have been in specific areas and direct contact with the unnamed “super spreader” have been infected so far (in addition to the first two who came from Wuhan).
Em.-.
Rep:
?
GP surgery in Brighton (County Oak Medical Centre) has closed due to an outbreak amongst staff.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51447761
This is why those ill are asked to call 111. If this was started by a patient I don’t understand why they thought it would be a good idea to see their GP with an infectious illness instead of calling.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Em.-.)
This is why those ill are asked to call 111. If this was started by a patient I don’t understand why they thought it would be a good idea to see their GP with an infectious illness
Because that's normally what people are expected to do if they're ill in this country? I accept that the advice has been different for this corona virus but normally the only way you get treated is by sitting in a doctor's reception for 30 minutes exchanging diseases with the other patients before you see the doctor. It's one reason why I avoid going to one if I can possibly avoid it. Most stuff does get better without a visit.
Last edited by Compost; 2 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Compost)
Because that's normally what people are expected to do if they're ill in this country? I accept that the advice has been different for this corona virus but normally the only way you get treated is by sitting in a doctor's reception for 30 minutes exchanging diseases with the only patients before you see the doctor. It's one reason why I avoid going to one if I can possibly avoid it.
The advice currently is to contact either a doctor or a hospital and if you rang 111 and they concluded you were a possible Coronavirus patient, I would think they would refer you to a hospital, where it just as likely you would infect more people. The key thing if this intensifies is going to be the use of protective measures by all health workers.
ساره
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Kind of scared. Seen a lot of people wearing masks. Not sure if I should do the same.
Em.-.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Because that's normally what people are expected to do if they're ill in this country? I accept that the advice has been different for this corona virus but normally the only way you get treated is by sitting in a doctor's reception for 30 minutes exchanging diseases with the other patients before you see the doctor. It's one reason why I avoid going to one if I can possibly avoid it. Most stuff does get better without a visit.
That’s my point. The advice for this virus is to call 111. The government may not have worked to make this information as widely available as it should be or the patient went in suspecting they could have the virus, in which case due to the massive concern shown in the news, you’d think they’d be more cautious or at least google what they should do, where calling 111 would come up.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ساره)
Kind of scared. Seen a lot of people wearing masks. Not sure if I should do the same.
Which country are you in?
ساره
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Which country are you in?
UK, London
Em.-.
Rep:
?
(Original post by ساره)
Masks won’t protect you completely as the virus will be able to get through gaps, but they will block droplets from those who cough or sneeze. It will reduce risk, but not significantly. The virus can be transmitted through eyes too.
MatchesMalone
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So far there is no reason to stay at home if you are in the UK. The main thing at present is to wash hands regularly and to use tissues if sneezing.
Thing is, when I sneeze it's not like I have a lot of warning. By the time I got a tissue out a packet it's done. Sneezing into your elbow seems like the best bet.
Then burn your clothes.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ساره)
Its unlikely to be of much help.
ساره
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Its unlikely to be of much help.
Gloves though? Especially for the tube hand railings maybe
Em.-.
Rep:
?
(Original post by ساره)
Gloves though? Especially for the tube hand railings maybe
As long as you don’t touch your face with them. Remember the virus can stay on surfaces for up to 9 days, so it would stay on your gloves (unless you’re talking about disposable ones). With your hands you can wash them more easily. Honestly the only 99% effective thing is to wear a full hazmat suit, but that would just freak people out. 🤷*♀️
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Em.-.)
Masks won’t protect you completely as the virus will be able to get through gaps, but they will block droplets from those who cough or sneeze. It will reduce risk, but not significantly. The virus can be transmitted through eyes too.
So gas mask it is then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads