I work 50 hours a week and I'm predicted a 1st class honours, ask me anything. Watch

Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tashkent46)
Yes it means nobody cares about STEM enough for conversion courses. They only exist because to practice professionally you need to do professional training and a training contract anyway (assuming you want to be a solicitor).
Nobody cares about STEM, sure, that's why medicine, dentistry and vet courses are the most oversubscribed ones 😂
Anonymous #7
Report 2 weeks ago
Such horrible remarks about other degrees.
And you're university students, meant to be intelligent!
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a 3rd year med student and will get paid more than band 5 but just appreciate others jobs instead of being ignorant.
Will probably get paid more than you too 😁
Only after your second year med student touché though
Anonymous #5
Report 2 weeks ago
Only after your second year med student touché though
Stay bitter you will go far in life
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The fact that those with STEM degrees can do a 1 year law conversion course and be on the same level as those with a full law degree under their belt but the same can't happen the other way around says everything tbh
TBH im not a law student never have been, but my dad is a corporate lawyer and understands the process and has explained to me in his opinion.

Law degrees dont really prepare you to be a professional lawyer, they just push your reading and writing on key subjects lawyers need to know about, so yes having an llb is the best prep for the job as you get a bit more background knowledge but it wont help you be a good lawyer, hence the conversion course helps introduce non-lawyers to some of the key concepts...

Being a good lawyer starts when you enter professionally afterwards once you move past the LPC, once you become a trainee you are more like an apprentice just in a suit and work long hours, this is where firms really see who has the ability to be good lawyers.

But to do law you need to be personally motivated, high stress/pressure tolerance, fairly smart, and ability to grind. Hence degree llb or other etc. is just a necessary way for firms to start filtering people who have the right personal traits.

STEM is very different animal, in your degree your more learning a logic for problem solving with required knowledge thrown in, not even worth trying to make the comparison imo.
Also the reason there is no STEM conversion course is really the maths ability imo, this is the only thing preventing other subjects moving into STEM, but an MSc would basically be the equivalent of a STEM conversion course.
Last edited by mnot; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Stay bitter you will go far in life
I'm not bitter but whatever you say dude 😂🙄
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
TBH im not a law student never have been, but my dad is a corporate lawyer and understands the process and has explained to me in his opinion.

Law degrees dont really prepare you to be a professional lawyer, they just push your reading and writing on key subjects lawyers need to know about, so yes having an llb is the best prep for the job as you get a bit more background knowledge but it wont help you be a good lawyer, hence the conversion course helps introduce non-lawyers to some of the key concepts...

Being a good lawyer starts when you enter professionally afterwards once you move past the LPC, once you become a trainee you are more like an apprentice just in a suit and work long hours, this is where firms really see who has the ability to be good lawyers.

But to do law you need to be personally motivated, high stress/pressure tolerance, fairly smart, and ability to grind. Hence degree llb or other etc. is just a necessary way for firms to start filtering people who have the right personal traits.

STEM is very different animal, in your degree your more learning a logic for problem solving with required knowledge thrown in, not even worth trying to make the comparison imo.
Also the reason there is no STEM conversion course is really the maths ability imo, this is the only thing preventing other subjects moving into STEM, but an MSc would basically be the equivalent of a STEM conversion course.
I'm not denying that long hours in a highly stressful job is taxing, my point was about the conceptual difficulty in the degree itself, not the job after it
OddOnes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Congratulations on having an able body.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm not denying that long hours in a highly stressful job is taxing, my point was about the conceptual difficulty in the degree itself, not the job after it
Well i think thats what the LLB does, it pushes a lot of reading and essays on students, I think the concepts involved in a law degree are probably simpler then STEM, but that doesnt make the degree easier, the LLB pushes workload intensity rather then conceptual complexity.

So if this your point, then i agree. I still dont think its worth trying to compare the two tbh.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tashkent46)
Why?

The first statement relies on well known public information (statistics)

If it's a jibe at my grammar you should see the horrible writing some judges do
Oh, it's not just your grammar (as atrocious as it may be), it's the fact that you appear to know very little about the degree you're supposedly studying!

There's a difference between writing badly and making grammatical mistakes ^_^

You sound like a butthurt nurse, enjoy your ****ty pay because remember a biochemist gets paid more than a band 5 haha.
What kind of weird inferiority complex is this
tashkent46
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by J Papi)
Oh, it's not just your grammar (as atrocious as it may be), it's the fact that you appear to know very little about the degree you're supposedly studying!

There's a difference between writing badly and making grammatical mistakes ^_^

What kind of weird inferiority complex is this
Christ, I had no idea I was writing to a quality that needed to be judged by the one and only J Papi. I guess I should take several weeks between every post I make on a student forum to make sure everything is thoroughly edited.

I have no idea why you think I am not studying a law degree, the only comment I actually made on the law was to do with expert witnesses, and yes I wrote it badly as to suggest that law students themselves call upon expert witnesses but I didn't know I would be writing for someone so pedantic who clearly did understand (how could you not?) that I mean we rely on expertise from people actually in that field when discussing other subjects.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
Well i think thats what the LLB does, it pushes a lot of reading and essays on students, I think the concepts involved in a law degree are probably simpler then STEM, but that doesnt make the degree easier, the LLB pushes workload intensity rather then conceptual complexity.

So if this your point, then i agree. I still dont think its worth trying to compare the two tbh.
Fair enough; I see. I'm not sure a MSc would count in the same way a law conversion course would though as most of the time to do a STEM MSc you'd need a relevant first degree.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
most of the time to do a STEM MSc you'd need a relevant first degree.
Yes this is what I meant about the maths comment...

To do most STEM MSc's even if you move subejct it requires you to have a firm understanding of multi-variable calculus, PDEs, matrix algebra etc. which is why non-STEM cant move over, but I believe its very possible for maths, physics, engineering, compsci to move between fields at MSc level.
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
Law and nursing easy as piss
Medicine perhaps a bit more challenging but considering I'm doing biochemistry anyway not much difference
Wow. The sheer arrogance. You should be disgusted with yourself. I study Radiography and I'm also a HCA. At least Im guaranteed a job at the end of my degree and I still have the option of doing Medicine. Nursing is also difficult. It is physically and mentally taxing. Most Universities offer Biochemistry so its not like you are doing the most amazing degree on the planet.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Wow. The sheer arrogance. You should be disgusted with yourself. I study Radiography and I'm also a HCA. At least Im guaranteed a job at the end of my degree and I still have the option of doing Medicine. Nursing is also difficult. It is physically and mentally taxing. Most Universities offer Biochemistry so its not like you are doing the most amazing degree on the planet.
Never claimed it was, pal.
Joleee
Report 2 weeks ago
Probably more due to the subjectivity of law rather than inherent conceptual difficulty. I doubt anything in law approaches anything in physical chemistry or physics in sheer conceptual complexity
you are not wrong in that the concept of law is easy. unfortunately, law students are not graded on their ability to describe law - they are graded on their ability to argue it, to memorise 1.5 million cases, their reasoning behind it, the dissenting opinions, and the ability to find holes in all the above. you think the difficulty of a degree is based on its name. if i presented your case in a law essay, i would most certainly fail.

also why are you anonymous?
Last edited by Joleee; 2 weeks ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)

Excellent post
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Excellent post
Cheers :cool:

Glad to see you've made a return to TSR! Welcome back
Anonymous #8
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MonstrousJoys)
See loads of little posts about having part time jobs at university,

Well, I work 50 hours a week in a managerial role, restaurant manager. I start at 12, finish at 1,2 am sometimes and have to be up for uni the next morning. I work 5 days a week. I'm predicted a 1st class honours and I'm in my final semester.

Ask me anything you like about my social life, balancing my workloads, having some me time, researching. Anything.😊
When does the mothership come to pick you up?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
Cheers :cool:

Glad to see you've made a return to TSR! Welcome back
Thank you Thought I'd pop by and see how things are going.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills โ€“ LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (330)
60.22%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.29%