madmirrors
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Has anybody attended an interview for the PGCE biology course at the University of York?
What would your advice be and what am I to expect?

I have to undertake a 3 minute presentation using an object of my choice to explain how I would use it to teach students but I am unsure what to take.

What tests did you also have to carry out?

For reference, I have recently graduated with a master's degree in microbiology from the University of Nottingham and completed my bachelor's degree in biology at the University of Southampton.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by madmirrors)
Has anybody attended an interview for the PGCE biology course at the University of York?
What would your advice be and what am I to expect?

I have to undertake a 3 minute presentation using an object of my choice to explain how I would use it to teach students but I am unsure what to take.

What tests did you also have to carry out?

For reference, I have recently graduated with a master's degree in microbiology from the University of Nottingham and completed my bachelor's degree in biology at the University of Southampton.
Hello!

Really pleased for you that you've been offered an interview!

The task you've been asked to do, will have an interviewers focus on your communication and engagement skills. It's matter less what object you chose, but you need to address why you have that object, how it will engage the learners, and how you'd communicate new or difficult concepts. You could take a plant to explain photosynthesis (a bit obvious!) or an egg to explain an emulsion, reproduction and protein denaturation. Consider how the object can be used to bring the science to life and be relate-able to the young people and the 'real' world. How would the object inspire the young people to investigate further and in more depth? Employ an object with something that you are really passionate about and don't forget to allow for your sense of humour to shine.

It's possible you'd be asked to complete a subject knowledge audit (you self assess your subject knowledge - beginner to expert, against the National Curriculum, which will be provided) and likely you'd be asked to write a response to a resource. (to check your academic reasoning, as well as your literacy) and possibly a numeracy test.

Please do ask for a Teacher training adviser from the Get into Teaching service if you've not got one as they will help in more depth with the presentation planning. It's a free service, so you have nothing to lose! (Call 0800 389 2500 or register here.)

Best of luck with your interview, please let us know how it goes!

Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (473)
59.35%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.4%
No- I want it (228)
28.61%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.65%

Watched Threads